Auckland, New Zealand
Latest Coordinates and Map Quick-Links
|Wednesday 2017-03-29||-36.9736893, 174.6547299|
|Thursday 2017-03-30||-36.5780074, 174.8027104|
Auckland (Tāmaki-makau-rau (Māori)) is the largest city in New Zealand with a population of 1.4 million  (as at June 2009). The population density is low thus Auckland suffers from extreme suburban sprawl resulting in nearly every resident needing to own a vehicle to get anywhere in a respectable amount of time. Auckland straddles the Auckland Volcanic Field which contains around 50 volcanoes. It also lies on a skinny isthmus less than two kilometres wide at its narrowest point, and is surrounded by two harbours and associated inlets. Of the graticule, what isn't comprised of water or suburbia, is made up of regional parks, beaches and farmland, providing many opportunities for remote and beautiful geohash hunting adventures.
For the purpose of the Reverse regional achievement,
the Auckland graticule comprises the following
Rodney, North Shore City, Waitakere City, Auckland City, Manukau City (and Northland).
The Papakura and Franklin Districts fall under the Manukau City graticule.
- Maxx for information on your public transport options in the Greater Auckland Area. Although, don't expect to get anywhere of interest quickly or easily using public transport in Auckland.
- AucklandNZ.com is the official tourism site for Auckland.
- ARC the Auckland Regional Council website.
Auckland was deflowered by gnail on 2008-06-25, although no proof was provided, and gnail was never to be seen again!
- Auckland is the
54th 51st 48th 35th 33rd 32nd27th most active graticule in the world with 14 16 17 22 27 3338 expeditions logged;
- Ranked the
51st 38th 32nd 30th 28th 26th 29th23rd graticule in the world based on 12 14 15 17 19 25 2833 successful expeditions with coordinates reached;
- And is the most active graticule in New Zealand and can be viewed here New Zealand Most Active Graticules
- Oh, and for the record, Auckland was the 3rd most active graticule for the month of August 2010, and the 2nd most active graticule in July 2011 :)
Other hashers that have come and gone can be found here:
- 2015-07-11 - Jacksonz- southbound on Northern Motorway, near Rosedale
- 2015-06-18 - Jacksonz- Vancouver Avenue, Sandringham
- 2015-06-08 - nmoorenz- Lake Road, Belmont
- 2014-11-22 - Jacksonz- Woodhill Forest, Muriwai
- 2014-10-21 - Jacksonz- Park in Clavoy Place, East Tamaki
- 2013-11-03 - Jondor- Middle of the road, Arrenway Drive, Rosedale
- 2013-06-09 - Jondor & natedogg - next to house, 6 Brydon Place, New Windsor
- 2012-09-28 - JimmyNZ & Greenslime - Beach, Muriwai
- 2012-09-22 - JimmyNZ & Greenslime - Next to little tree, Greenhithe
- 2012-07-01 - JimmyNZ - Waitemata Harbour, Coxs Bay
- 2012-05-29 - JimmyNZ & Greenslime - War Memorial Park, Mt Roskill
- 2012-01-16 - Greenslime - Paddock, Whenuapai
- 2012-01-09 - Greenslime - Driveway, Northcote
- 2011-12-19 - Greenslime - Woodhill Forest, Muriwai Beach
- 2011-10-11 - Greenslime - Roadside, Glen Innes
- 2011-10-05 - Greenslime - Woodhill Forest
- 2011-10-02 - Greenslime - Paddock, Henderson
- 2011-09-27 - Greenslime - Paddock, Dairy Flat
- 2011-07-10 - JimmyNZ & Greenslime - Park, Northcote
- 2011-06-26 - Llama - Backyard, Papatoetoe
- 2011-03-30 - JimmyNZ - Grass clearing, Karepiro
- 2010-12-26 - JimmyNZ, Greenslime, Krintar - Median Strip, Albany
- 2010-11-04 - Greenslime - Estuary Edge, Whenuapai
- 2010-10-22 - Greenslime - Driveway, Herald Island
- 2010-10-19 - Greenslime - Beach, Glendowie
- 2010-10-13 - Greenslime - Park, Northcote
- 2010-10-06 - Greenslime - Median Strip, Lincoln Road
- 2010-09-14 - Greenslime - Backyard, Bucklands Beach
- 2010-09-01 - Greenslime - Waitemata Golf Course, Devonport
- 2010-08-31 - Greenslime - Backyard, Remuera
- 2010-08-10 - Greenslime - House, Tindalls Beach, Whangaparoa Peninsula
- 2010-08-08 - Greenslime - Musick Point/Te Waiarohia, Bucklands Beach
- 2010-08-07 - Greenslime - Chamberland Park Golf Course, Point Chevalier
- 2010-07-20 - Greenslime - ROW, Kohimarama
- 2010-07-13 - Greenslime - Undeveloped section, Mangere South
- 2010-06-24 - Greenslime - Shakespear Regional Park, Whangaparoa Peninsula
- 2010-01-24 - Greenslime and JimmyNZ - Farm Paddock, Taupaki
- 2009-09-05 - TunezNZ - East Tamaki War Memorial park sports field
- 2009-03-17 - TunezNZ - Corn field, Flatbush
- 2008-11-26 - Aspirin - No.56 Parkinson Avenue
- 2008-10-02 - TunezNZ - East Tamaki Industrial zone
- 2008-09-08 - Khadgar - Helensville
- 2008-08-10 - zaf - Meters off East Coast Road, Albany
- 2008-07-28 - zaf and lan - Western Park
- 2008-06-25 - gnail - Parking lot, Mt Roskill Grammar School (Curse of Unawareness)
Geohashes Not Reached
- 2011-07-13 - JimmyNZ - Native Bush, Riverhead
- 2011-07-12 - JimmyNZ and Greenslime - Pine Forest, Woodhill
- 2010-09-11 - JimmyNZ and Greenslime - Bush, Anawhata
- 2010-06-19 - JimmyNZ - Native Bush, Parau
- 2008-09-13 - Unknown - Whitford
At Hash, lucky the tides out.
Plaque in the park. Where kiwis made world records
Hash point. On a hillside looking out to Muriwai Beach.
Bucklands Beach. Rangitoto Island from Musick Point
Waitemata Golf Course, Devonport. Mt Victoria
Tindalls Beach, Whangaparoa. Surprised this actually landed on land
Musick Point, Bucklands Beach. Fly a kite!
Chamberland Park Golf Course, Point Chevalier. View from the 15th tee
Mangere South. Yup, Auckland is indeed surrounded by water
|gnail earned the Virgin Graticule Achievement|