San Jose, California
|San Francisco||San Jose||Merced|
Today's location: not yet announced
Today's Location: [San Jose, CA]
The San Jose graticule is at latitude 37 N, longitude 121 W. It covers much of the San Jose area, the Contra Costa Valley (including Pleasanton and Livermore), and part of the San Joaquin Valley (including Stockton, Tracy, and the western half of Modesto). This graticule makes for a good fallback adventure when the San Francisco graticule's geohash is in the water, as often happens.
The San Jose, CA and San Francisco, CA share a mailing list for meetup planning and other discussion.
 Administrative divisions
If you're shooting for the Reverse regional achievement, you need to visit hashpoints within the graticule which are also in the following counties: Contra Costa, Alameda, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, and Merced.
 Notable Dates
Historic map of Geohash spots for 37 -121 (San Jose.)
2008-05-21 Early SJ hashers almost got to the spot...
2008-06-01 Right off the Coleman St (SJC) offramp. First "big" meetup for SJ.
2008-06-07 (XKCD) In the middle of a farm-field in Patterson (SE of Tracy.) A polite visit to the neighbors got us "permission" to sit in the mown hay and play games.
2008-07-02 Inside the living room of 2244 Gunar Drive in the Cambrian Park area of San Jose. Reached by four people.
2009-01-03 1st XKCD meetup of the year. Folks went :)
 Other, Less Notable, Dates
2008-05-24 North end of Coyote Lake County Park, near Gilroy/San Martin, just off of 101.
2008-05-25 East of Stockton, looks like the middle of a field.
2008-05-26 East of Livermore, just shy of 2000' elevation. A mile from Patterson Pass Road, in the middle of private property near a wind farm. This location is on the Vieira Ranch, which is all private property off of Patterson Pass Road. Please do not trespass.
2008-05-31 (An XKCD meetup day) Just off of Hwy 152, between Gilroy & San Luis reservoir. Looks to possibly be a few feet from a (dirt (fire? ranch?)) road. Please do not trespass.
2008-06-08 In a private ranch south of Hwy 152, not all that far from last Saturday. The entire area is marked "No Trespassing" and invokes a citizen's watch; please do not trespass.
2008-06-14 (XKCD) In a private field East of Manteca, near a cattle farm, so it's likely to be smelly. Last Saturday, we had no opposition to us sitting in the fields, and I'd expect the same this Saturday.
2008-06-15 Right along the shoulder of a road in the Milpitas foothills. Whether this road is "real" or not seems to be a function of which Google Maps view one subscribes to. Clearly, some experimental derivation is in order....
2008-06-21 (XKCD) In a field near Suisuin Bay.
2008-06-25 Is right off of Stanley Blvd in Livermore, across from Shadow Cliffs park, where we used to play in the quarry (and go to make-out at night ;) when I was in high school. Sadly, it appears JUST inside the gravel-works on the other side of the street. Getting within 250' is piece-of-cake (and it'd be fun to visit Shadow-Cliffs again, although I'm unlikely to make it today), but I'm not sure if the actual spot is accessible to public. Could always ask...! User:Anthony drove past it on his way home this evening, but didn't have time to find a good place to park along Stanley Boulevard, or a good way to take pictures of the site and his GPS while whizzing by at 50+ mph.
2008-07-01 On the border between Sveadal (private property, Please Do Not Trespass) and Uvas Canyon County Park, just below Manzanita Point in the southern reaches of the County Park.
2008-07-10 Landed between two homes on Newhall Street, not far from Santa Clara University. Two people visited.
2008-07-19 (XKCD) Blocked by gate with no call-box, but an otherwise pretty vineyard.
2008-09-06 (XKCD) In an open field just outside the south wall of a former women's prison (now a correctional training facility). Probably not a good one to go after.
2009-03-01 Between runways at SJC. This probably counts as "I am the FAA's bitch". Unless you've got a GPS with sufficiently low accuracy and a flight today.
2009-03-28 (XKCD) East tip of the Henry W. Coe State Park, with a beautiful hike to and fro.
2013-03-23 Near the summit of Mount Diablo
2013-04-23 In the parking lot of Cisco, near Milpitas and I-880
You alphabetized the list, please, when you add yourself, keep it alphabetized.
- adambb - located in Santa Clara
- bblanco - located in Sunnyvale
- Bookrat - located in Mountain View
- Buxley - located in Santa Clara
- dimo414 - located in Los Gatos
- ebrowne - located in San Jose
- elness - located in Manteca. Live in this graticule, but work in Modesto, just inside the Merced, California graticule.
- Foobert - located in San Jose
- FunkyTuba - Cupertino/Redwood City. Will probably only go to *very* convenient geohashes, e.g. the point falls within a couple of miles of home or work.
- Graham - located in San Jose
- Jakobo - located in San Jose
- Jarom - located in Livermore
- Jason - located in Pleasanton
- JOATMON - located in San Jose
- KChasm - located in San Jose. Will only go to geohashes that are very, very, very convenient.
- Korova - located in San Jose
- Nooks - located in Mountain View
- PacoBell - located in San Jose
- Shrugged - located in San Ramon
- Tapin - located in San Jose
- You - located on the border of San Jose and Campbell
- Youhas - located in Santa Clara
- Zigdon - located in Santa Clara
- Anthony - lives in Alameda in San Francisco quad, but used to work in Livermore, and has tried hashes here, and may again.
- Dlthomas - lives in downtown Oakland
- ilya - student at Stanford in the San Francisco graticule. Will sometimes try hashes here when the SF location is in the ocean.
- Quertior lives in Santa Cruz, but his house is located in the Salinas graticule. Unfortunately, neither of those are very active.
- Ted - Located in the Santa Cruz Mountains, Laurel off of Hwy 17. Technically lives in San Jose graticule, but more closely associates with Santa Cruz. However, since Cruz is 99.44% water, expect to see him at Jose hash-spots.
- nevarren - Student at UCSC in the Santa Cruz graticule. Decent swimmer, but not good enough to attempt hashes in open water.
|Tapin, Ted, FunkyTuba, Zigdon, and Relsqui earned the Virgin Graticule Achievement|
|Tapin, Ted, FunkyTuba, Zigdon, and Relsqui earned the Land geohash achievement|
|Jason, and Shrugged earned the Land geohash achievement|
|Ted, Jason, and Shrugged earned the No Batteries Geohash Achievement|
|Buxley earned the Land geohash achievement|
|Buxley earned the No Batteries Geohash Achievement|