San Francisco, California
|Bodega Bay||Santa Rosa||Sacramento|
|Farallon Islands||San Francisco||San Jose|
Today's location: not yet announced
Today's Location: [San Francisco, CA]
The San Francisco graticule is at latitude 37, longitude -122. It completely encloses San Francisco, Oakland, and Berkeley down to the North part of of Santa Cruz, Scotts Valley, the entire peninsula, and a lot of ocean/bay. The graticule is about 60% water, making reachable geohashes a little sparser than normal. If today's San Francisco geohash is in the water, you may find the San Jose geohash more to your liking. In addition, there is a large amount of private property in the hills of our graticule, although also a lot of public land and terrific parks/hiking, so it should be interesting hashing, when we can get there. On days when the spot is off-shore but within 1 mile, or in The Bay, Ted suggests that we try to make it, anyway (boats, wind-surfers, whatever), if it can be done, safely.
The San Jose, CA and San Francisco, CA graticules share a mailing list for meetup planning and other discussion.
Interesting fact: 37, -122 is the graticule used in the original Geohashing comic.
 Notable Dates
Historic map of geohash sites for 37,-122 (San Francisco)
- 2005-05-26 37 -122 - the geohash of the original comic, located in our graticule.
- 2008-05-17 37 -122 - the first San Francisco geohashing expedition. (4 days prior to the publication of the algorithm)
- 2008-06-14 37 -122 - the first San Francisco graticule official Saturday xkcd geohash meetup that has been located on dry land. That's pretty notable! In addition, this adventure ended up getting slashdot'd. Also notable!
- 2008-12-06 37 -122 - the first(?) successful water geohash in the SF graticule.
- 2009-01-10 37 -122 - the first non-water Saturday hash of 2009 (and I think the second-largest SF gathering, following the one that got /.'d).
- 2011-01-09 37 -122 - in San Francisco Zoo
- 2014-03-30 37 -122 Anika and Nik end spring break with a Sunday afternoon hash
 Administrative divisions
If you're shooting for the Reverse regional achievement, you need to visit hashpoints within the graticule which are also in the following counties: Marin, Contra Costa, San Francisco, Alameda, San Mateo, Santa Clara, and Santa Cruz.
alphabetized by You, when you add yourself, please, keep it in alphabetical order.
- Aaron - San Francisco. Have car, bike, and hand-held gps (with maps). Works a desk job but might be up for weekend adventures occasionally (or underwater speed chess).
- Ana - Palo Alto area. No car, but might be able to get a ride if sibling can be persuaded and we have time.
- Annie - Menlo Park area. Have an RV, usable as normal vehicle, and able to go during day.
- Anthony - Alameda, CA. Has car, but not much ability to coordinate schedules with others. May attempt locations after work
- Avitzur - Berkeley.
- Benbald72 - Berkeley, do not have a car but is resourceful with public transportation and would be willing to meet up to get a ride.
- CipherSwarm - SF. Has car, road bike. Sticks to SF graticule.
- Darcy - Berkeley. Has a car but may often be busy. Needs to figure out if her driving GPS can be configured for off-road hashing.
- EntropyRulesOk East Bay.
- Evawings - Somewhere in the Redwood City/San Mateo area. Likes random adventures! :]
- Erik - Stanford student. Just a bike so I can't go far, but I try when I can!
- Filip - San Francisco native, watching out for in-city points and interesting ones elsewhere. Muni ninja. Added peeron page to bit.ly/Geosf as an alternate shortcut, but be careful, it's case-sensitive! (All-lowercase was already taken.)
- FunkyTuba - Cupertino/Redwood City. Will probably only go to *very* convenient geohashes, e.g. the point falls within a couple of miles of home or work.
- GrapeFruit - Campbell. Technically San Jose Graticle,but as others have noted, SF will often be more interesting/doable.
- hellmitre - Has car with room, will travel. Could it be possible to decide on a certain Saturday so we get a good number of people to show?
- Jakobo - San Jose, but often the SF spot is a cleaner run up 680
- Jestelle - San Francisco, CA. Bikable locations from the city are what I'm waiting for... I created geosf.shorturl.com for easy URL remembering.
- JohnthePawn - San Jose, have a car and am willing to go hash into park and forest area should time permit.
- kachunk - Palo Alto. Has car. Prefers to bike.
- Mystitat - Walnut Creek. Has car sometimes, but prefers public transit.
- Nate3000 - San Rafael, CA. Will have car soon.
- Pwnagepanda - Piedmont. Has car/bike, will hike. If it's near my area I'll try to make it
- Pyron Beta - Sunnyvale. I've suggested using DJIA==0 so we can find a Friday with reachable coordinates.
- Quertior lives in Santa Cruz, but his house is located in the Salinas graticule. Unfortunately, neither of those two are very active.
- Relsqui - Berkeley. Has transit passes, will travel, within the bounds of public transit and a full-time job that includes Saturdays.
- Ted - Santa Cruz. will bring Once Upon A Time when he comes. He will try to make Saturdays and, in particular, suggests the 2nd Saturday of the month for folks who plan to only attend occasionally. (Perhaps that can be "the official SF-xkcd meetup", or some such.)
- Treiza - El Cerrito, CA. Has car and bike. Willing to give rides.
- Tuzakey - Walnut Creek, CA. Has car and mountain bike, will travel if motivated.
- You - lives in San Jose, but the SF is often closer.
- Youhas - Technically in the San Jose graticule, but close enough to the graticule border to visit the San Francisco hashes when San Jose proves distant / inconvenient / disinteresting. (Doubly so when the SF spot is in the Santa Cruz mountains - my childhood tromping grounds!)
- Zigdon - Santa Clara, will try to drive or ride to meetups if they are close enough. If the meetup falls in the sea, the San Jose graticule is often a good alternative.
|Zigdon, Xkcd, and emad earned the Virgin Graticule Achievement|
|Mystitat earned the Land geohash achievement|
|Darcy earned the Land geohash achievement|
|Anthony earned the Land geohash achievement|
 Miscellaneous Previous Hashes
- 2008-05-17 37 -122
- 2008-05-23 37 -122 - Deep ocean. Tried San Jose, but was on private property, behind a keypad-only access gate. (Met some very nice ranchers, though :)
- 2008-05-25 37 -122 - Bear Oaks Court, under a tree near Briones Regional Park. Avitzur, Bouncinglime, and several others attended.
- 2008-05-27 37 -122 - Southern reaches of Castle Rock State Park, just below a tough-to-reach ridge.
- 2008-05-30 37 -122 - In someone's backyard in Berkeley. Got as close as possible without trespassing.
- 2008-06-03 37 -122 - Today's spot is right on in the middle of a hiking trail a few hundred feet from the north entrance to Briones Regional Park on Briones Rd outside Orinda. Doesn't get any easier than than. E-mail me if anyone would like to go out for a picnic or go slacklining in the park. Can carpool from Berkeley. - Avitzur 18:31, 3 June 2008 (UTC)avitzur
- 2008-06-07 37 -122 - Today's meet is as close to usual Bay Area cities as itll get. A few hundred meters off the Dumbarton Bridge in North Palo Alto. Meetup would probably be on the bridge. Anyone?
- 2008-06-10 37 -122 - In a park next to a road in Lafayette - Looks like a good one, if anyone's interested. May or may not try.
- 2008-06-16 37 -122 - Off Alpine Road, near Stanford. Possibly within some sort of botanical research area? Should be an easy one for Stanford students.
- 2008-06-20 37 -122 - Claremont Canyon Preserve, off Claremont Ave near the summit. Steep terrain. - attempts apparently ended up being foxed by poison oak and general undergrowth (and overgrowth).
- 2008-06-21 37 -122 - Cascade Canyon open space preserve in Fairfax (Marin County). Two people reached.
- 2008-06-22 37 -122 - In the bay. Jakobo and at least 2 others met on the beach nearby.
- 2008-06-28 37 -122 - Oyster Point Park in south San Francisco, agreed meeting point 938m away from point in water. One known user (this writer) reached.
- 2008-06-30 37 -122 - Alameda, SE corner of Constitution Way and Marina Village Parkway. Anthony reached.
- 2008-07-16 37 -122 - Half Moon Bay, on Myrtle Street between 1st and 2nd Avenues. No visitors.
- 2008-07-18 37 -122 - Los Altos Hills just off Altamont Road between two mansions. Buxley and Epsalon reached.
- 2008-07-27 37 -122 - Oakland Hills (Anthony Chabot Regional Park) about a mile from the Parkridge Dr. park access. adi, A, B, and U reached.
- 2008-09-07 37 -122 - Just to the side of Highway 9, just S of 35.
- 2008-12-06 37 -122 - Right in the middle of the south bay off of hunters point. Sailed out of Alameda and reached the point at right about 4pm
- 2008-12-29 37 -122 - In The Village at Corte Madera parking lot. Anthony reached.
- 2009-01-10 37 -122 - On the sidewalk of Bancroft Way in Berkeley, between California and Spaulding. 8 attendees.
- 2009-02-08 37 -122 - One attendee at Chabot Regional Park
- 2009-03-12 37 -122 - FunkyTuba attended near Redwood City.
- 2009-03-21 37 -122 - by a group of anonymous hashers.
- 2009-05-02 37 -122 - by User:Danfuzz
- 2009-11-25 37 -122 - Golf Links Road, Oakland, by Anthony
- 2009-11-27 37 -122 - Lime Ridge, Concord, by User:Richard Soderberg
- 2009-11-28 37 -122 - Bay Bridge Toll Plaza, Oakland, by Anthony
- 2010-02-28 37 -122 - Hill Street driveway, on a hill in SF, reached by Filip
- 2010-04-07 37 -122 - San Leandro Avenue, San Leandro, by Anthony
- 2010-05-02 37 -122 - Friendship Inn, Sunnyvale, by Kyukket
- 2010-06-15 37 -122 - by Rszasz
- 2010-10-30 37 -122 - Ruby Street near 40th Street, close to MacArthur Bart, Oakland, claimed by Pythagoras
- 2010-11-03 37 -122 - Doolittle Drive in San Leandro, near OAK. Reached by Anthony
- 2010-11-22 37 -122 - In the middle of 41st Street near Broadway in Oakland. Reached by Anthony
- 2011-10-09 37 -122 - Out in the ocean off Redondo Beach. Ben Smith appears to have made the trip to the beach, at least.
- 2011-10-16 37 -122 - At the corner of Toyon and Rollins Rd in Burlingame. Anniepoo went, and got many achievement ribbons in the process.
- 2012-08-08 37 -122 - Sunnyvale Tennis Center, User:Anniepoo and friends
- 2012-08-21 37 -122 - On a residential street in Serramonte. Reached by Anniepoo and Thomcat
- 2012-10-05 37 -122 - Private property above 280. Not quite reached by Jim
- 2012-12-26 37 -122 - Residential street in Bernal Heights, SF, reached by Anthony
- 2013-01-26 37 -122 - The interior courtyard of townhouses in Daly City
- 2013-02-11 37 -122 - In an apartment complex in Union City. Anniepoo tried to reach it, but it was not publicly accessible.
- 2013-02-28 37 -122 - In a courtyard near the corner of hubbard and park in Emeryville. Anniepoo and Diana went, but it turned out to be just inside the building and unreachable.
- 2013-03-26 37 -122 - FunkyTuba and Anniepoo drove through this hashpoint on the northbound lanes of Highway 85.
- 2013-08-12 37 -122 - Solo Thomcat visits a residential sidewalk in Sunnyvale.
- 2015-01-16 37 -122 - A failed attempt by Erik to reach a location in the hills behind Stanford. Turned out to be private property.