I'm an instrument-rated private pilot. I may have to dust off the old license in order to effectively make some of these meetups, given the private-property nature of the several I've tried recently.
I typically bring Once Upon A Time as my game.
Geohash meetups attempted
- 2008-05-24_37_-121 (xkcd) [SCUW] Inadvertently went to the 5/23 location. It was behind private property, inaccessible. Met some very nice ranchers.
- 2008-05-31_37_-121 (xkcd) [SCUW] Was behind private property, inaccessible. Nearby cafe also closed.
- 2008-07-19_37_-121 (xkcd) [SCUW] Behind locked gate, could not contact owners. Claimed No_Trespassing_Geohash Achievement.
- * (xkcd) = Saturday, official xkcd meetup @ 4pm
- * SCUW = Santa Cruz spot under water.
Geohash meetups attended
- 2008-06-01_37_-121 [SCUW] Made it! Only minor trespassing -- "barely noticeable!" Met some fine folk...
- 2008-06-07_37_-121 (xkcd) [SCUW] Sat in a hay field in Patterson with some lovely companions. Ate @ Harley's Grub Shack.
- 2008-08-11_36_-122 Santa Cruz! And GEO came and made GEO-hash :)
- 2013-05-26_37_-121 [SCUW] (Mouseover Day, observed.) About 1/4 mile from my house.
- 2008-06-14, -21 and -28 (xkcd*3) where all up in the Northeast end of the graticule, and I wasn't able to make it. Boo on me!
- To make up for it, I did some work on The Historic Map Page, and it's working pretty well, now.
- 2008-07-28_36_-122 Santa Cruz's hash was actually on land! But I didn't find out until late in the evening, and so missed it. :(
- 2008-08-02_37_-121 (xkcd) Is a quite convenient spot (someone's house in Campbell), but I'm hosting a pig-roast that day. SC/SF/SJ Geohashers that I've met are welcome, drop me an email.
- 2008-08-09 (xkcd) Then, this weekend, I'm out pig-hunting. <sigh> Maybe the spot will land very near where I'm headed... :)
- ... May, 2009. I've been a total slacker! In my defense, I've been posting weekly "where the spots are" notes to the newsgroup. I also haven't seen much in the way of activity, there. I guess we're all very busy. I actually made 2 hashes since last reporting, but haven't entered them, yet. Need to find the pix on my camera and figure out when/where we were.
NOTE: That's an actual picture of me, in the first one (artist's rendition)!
- I was the first-ever achiever of the coveted Cold_Geohash award, setting the record for the coldest Geohash to date, at 88°F :)
- I'm going to go check & see if I got the hottest, too ;)
- Darn! The folks at 2008-06-07_30_-84 beat me with 103°F