Couch Potato Geohash
This achievement can be attained only when the place where you live is exactly under the coordinates of a particular day. This is incredibly lucky, and the chance of this happening to you is the area of your domicile divided by the area of the quadrangle you're in. Assuming a sphere of radius R (Earth is approximately 6,370,000m), θ = the absolute value of your graticule's latitude in degrees, and H = the size of your domicile in square metres, then the probability P is represented by the following formula:
A typical apartment dweller in Denver, Colorado (latitude 39°) has a chance of around one in 106,000,000. The same apartment dweller in Vardø, Norway (latitude 70°) has a chance of around one in 46,000,000.
If this does happen to you, you are required to throw a mad-keen party at a day's notice.
If we assume that the average geohasher has a one in 100,000,000 chance for this to happen, and each person checks the coordinates everyday. Then the expected time for this to happen for the first time is roughly:
If we assume that the probability of two or more geohashers at different graticules winning the Coach Potato Achievement on the same day is zero. So if for example there are 5,000 geohashers the expected time for this to happen is 54 years and 9 months.
This is one of those things that probably won't ever happen, but how cool would it be if it did?.
Note that geohashers may increase their chances of winning the Couch Potato by playing the stock market and becoming a Geohash hacker
You could also potentially purchase a house or apartment in which a geohash falls and settle the location extremely quickly, a less math-prone method of gaining the Couch Potato Geohash through attempt rather than blind chance.
Award banners are available here.
Nobody has won this yet, be the first!
Should you happen to win this achievement, or the honourable mention, you will surely want to use this template to make yourself a ribbon.
| This user earned the Couch Potato Geohash Achievement
 Honorable Mentions
Even if the coordinates aren't in your house, you can get an honorable mention if you live within 1km (a 15-minute walk) of the coordinates and reach the coordinates on the appropriate day. While this is 33,800 times more likely to happen than the coordinates being in your domicile, it's still a long shot.
Keep a keen eye and be willing to introduce geohash-neophyte friends to the sport. Or make new friends, who live at the day's lucky dwelling. This will wildly increase the odds.
- Celebithil claims to have reached Sunday June 1's geohash location in the Noord_West_Nederland graticule, located just under 1 km from his house, thereby earning the first Couch Potato Honorable Mention.
- Orbatos reached June 4th's geohash in the Anchorage, AK graticule located just 0.7 km from his residence.
- Matt passed through June 7's geohash in the Boston graticule a number of times, as it was located on the highway approximately .8 km from his house.
- AHecht reached the June 24th Boston Geohash which was located .9 km away from his house.
- Joanna reached the September 7 Canberra geohash which was located about 600m from her house.
- Tomcat reached the September 29 Nuremberg geohash which was located about 700 m from his house.
- Hessophanes reached the October 16 Berlin geohash about 200m from his old flat two weeks before he officially moved out of it.
- Floffe reached the November 30 Visby geohash about 950m from his current home and 400m from an apartment he moved in to a week later.
- Danatar reached the 2009-02-12 Würzburg, Germany location which was 850 m from his house.
- Involute reached the 2009-03-03 Norfolk, Virginia geohash location which was 317 m from his house.
- tjm1983 reached the 2009-05-05 Wellington, New Zealand geohash location which was 475m from his house.
- AlexF reached the 2009-06-24 Newark geohash location which was 569 m from his house.
- Kozz unintentionally reached the 2009-08-01 Melbourne, Australia geohash location which was 81m from his house.
- Mahahahaneapneap reached the 2009-10-12 50 -1 geohash twice, first at midnight and then again with friends in the afternoon. The location was 920 metres from his house.
- Mikkozzz reached the 2009-11-13 Helsinki geohash location which was 450 m (as crow flies) from his house. 580 meters for not being a crow.
- 2010-05-03 49 8 was 920 meters from Koepfel's house and even closer to Fluxkompensator's.
- 2010-12-28 55 13 was less than 210 meters from OlofL's house.
- 2011-08-20 66 25 was 780 meters from isopekka's house.
- 2011-10-04 53 -113 was 350 metres from Meghan's house.
- 2012-08-19 49 7 was 640 meters from Triqueon's house.
- 2012-10-15 55 13 was 125 meters from Mjaje's house.
- 2012-10-30 47 8 was 895 meters from Foehammer's house.
- 2012-12-12 -37 145 was ~900m from Stevage's house.
- 2013-02-20 42 -88 was 880m from StatMan22's house.
- 2013-04-23 40 -86 was 720m from Buttercup's home.
- 2013-05-24 49 -122 was 998m from Juventas's house.
- 2013-09-13 50 11 was 850m from Jens' house.
- 2013-11-09 42 -88 was 287m from StatMan22's house, not sure if Buttercup also qualifies...
- 2013-11-30_global was 1km from Tilley's house
- 2013-12-13 49 -122 was about 700m from Rex's apartment.
 In Popular Culture
In Soviet Russia, geohash reaches you.