I'm originally from Sheffield, United Kingdom, but moved to Cambridge, United Kingdom in 2001 and have lived there ever since. I discovered geohashing in 2012 completely by accident whilst trying to find out some information about tide times on the North Norfolk coast, and Google sent me to the 2012-09-02 52 0 expedition page. I'm not sure why I'd never heard of it before, given that I'd been reading xkcd since before the original geohashing comic was published!
I don't have any form of transport, not even a bike, so am limited to hashpoints that can be reached on foot or by public transport.
I've decided to geohash with a small pink toy caterpillar named Hammersmith (after the London Underground line). Don't ask. Oh, and MrsPaintedJaguar often geohashes with me as well!
I've decided, quite randomly, that my long-term geohashing goal is to complete a Minesweeper Geohash achievement that includes both graticules that I've lived in, Cambridge and Sheffield. In order to achieve this (without buying a boat), I'll have to centre on the Northampton, United Kingdom graticule.
- 2012-10-14 51 0 (failed): In a field near Thurrock football ground, that had been fenced off to keep horses in (and, further, the field was partially flooded and the hashpoint was underwater)
- 2012-10-14 51 -0: In a park in southwest London, close to Chiswick Park tube station
- 2012-10-21 52 0: At the end of Teasel Close in Haverhill
- 2012-10-31 52 0: On the bank of the River Cam in Chesterton
- 2013-02-03 51 0: Outside a house on High Wych Road, near the town of Sawbridgeworth
- 2013-05-12 51 -0: In shrubland near Waltham Cross and the Lee Valley; also very close to the M25
- 2013-06-02 52 1: Just North of Winterton Dunes on the Norfolk coast
- 2013-06-30 52 -0: The end of Gery Court in Eaton Ford, about one mile west of St. Neots town centre
- 2013-07-20 52 0: On Plantation Road in Sawston
- 2013-08-03 51 -0: On Birchwood Way, near How Wood station, just south of St. Albans
- 2013-08-03 52 0: The west bank of the River Great Ouse just south of Kings Lynn, at the appropriately named Eau Brink Road
- 2013-08-04 52 0: On the west bank of a canal near Outwell, in Norfolk
- 2013-08-05 52 0: The front lawn of Cambridge University's Faculty of Education, on Hills Road in south Cambridge
- 2013-09-11 52 0: (failed) The middle of a field adjacent to the River Cam near Waterbeach
- 2014-06-29 52 0: In the middle of Sluice Road, between the River Great Ouse and the village of Denver, a couple of miles from Downham Market