|| Likes to get there by bike.
My name is Matti and I'm from Kuopio, Finland. I'm 32 years old and I love outdooring in its various forms.
I'm a fan of xkcd, and read the famous(?) geohashing comic a few years ago, but then forgot about the whole thing. Recently I stumbled on geohashing again on xkcd blag, and were quite surprised how active community there is around geohashing even today. As I own a GPS device, I thought that maybe I could start geohashing too, it sounded like fun. My excitement was heightened when I noticed that no one had ever visited a geohash in my graticule, so there was even a Virgin Graticule award to be taken right away.
My hobbies include mountain biking and paddling, and I own a kayak, so reaching also the water hashes won't be a problem. Those will probably be quite common, as we have hundreds of thousands of lakes in Finland.
In this area, temperatures in mid-winter lie below -20°C for a month or two, the coldest days being -35°C. Thus the lakes develop a thick ice every winter, so Frozen and Walking on Water achievements will be very easy, but I have to remember to take off my cross-country skis as I reach the hash point!
I have connections to graticules that include Helsinki, Keuruu and Valtimo, so on vacations and such I could try to reach hashpoints in those graticules, too.
I will most likely be trying to reach hashes that are within biking/skiing/paddling distance, because although I own a car, I usually don't drive it too much and try to use my bike(s) to do my daily traveling.
- 15. 2013-05-10 62 27 Reached successfully this biking geohash in Puroniitty, Haminalahti, Kuopio, with a party of five, among others Pastori.
- 14. 2013-04-29 62 27 First failure! No trespassing.
- 13. 2013-04-11 62 27 Reached successfully this biking geohash in Kuhastenniemi, Kuopio.
- 12. 2013-03-24 62 27 Reached successfully this biking geohash in Poukama, Kuopio.
- 11. 2013-03-05 62 27 Reached successfully this skiing geohash in Laivonsaari, Kuopio!
- 10. 2013-03-01 62 26 Reached successfully this hashpoint in Konnevesi.
- 9. 2012-12-28 62 27 Reached successfully this hashpoint in Kuopio with a group of 5, including Tilley's baby daughter scoring her first hashpoint, frozen of course.
- 8. 2012-12-20 62 26 Reached successfully this double frozen virgin geohash in Rautalampi.
- 7. 2012-12-20 62 25 Reached successfully this colder-than-freezer geohash (-19°C) near Saarijärvi, in Jyväskylä graticule.
- 6. 2012-12-17 60 24 Agitated my brother to reach this geohash in Espoo while I was being the Puppet Master
- 5. 2012-11-07 61 26 Reached successfully this geohash in snow-covered forest in Pertunmaa, achieving Virgin Graticule for Heinola, Finland.
- 4. 2012-10-28 62 27 Reached successfully by bike and with Mrs. Tilley this Frozen geohash south of Kuopio, in a forest.
- 3. 2012-10-11 60 24 Agitated my brother to reach this geohash in Espoo while I was being the Puppet Master.
- 2. 2012-10-07 62 27 Reached my second geohash, this time dragging Mrs. Tilley along. Kuopio, Finland.
- 1. 2012-10-04 62 27 Reached my first geohash by bike in the woods near the house Airaksela, also achieving Virgin Graticule in Kuopio, Finland.
 Achievements (In some categories best or first only)