Rochester, New York
|Peterborough, Ontario||Belleville, Ontario||Kingston, Ontario|
Today's location: not yet announced
- This page is for the graticule in upstate New York. For Rochester, Minnesota, see St. Paul, Minnesota.
Rochester had a very active geocaching community, with a large overlap with the XKCD fan base. Rochester is probably one of the top five geekiest cities in the US by population percentage , largely due to the the student populations at the University of Rochester and Rochester Institute of Technology, as well as the many engineering jobs provided by industries based in Rochester.
When the day's location ends up in Lake Ontario, we may repair to a secondary location further south, in the Corning, New York graticule (42, -77). Of course, one is still free to float, swim, sail, row, motorboat, jetski, fly, or take whatever other form of aqueous or aerial locomotion to the primary location in Lake Ontario, if one wishes. If the location is ashore across Lake Ontario in Canada, that counts. Life on the border is strange that way, sometimes, and you do the best you can.
If the secondary location ends up in one of the Finger Lakes, on a river, or in some other body of water, we'll just lump it. Get as close as you can, within the bounds of reason and good sense, wave, and take pictures. Semaphore or Morse may be of some use in this case, so plan accordingly.
|somebody earned the Virgin Graticule Achievement|
- 2015-07-15 43 -77 Mcbaneg, Katja, and Rebekah reached a hash south of Ling Rd. in Greece.
- 2015-06-03 43 -77 Pedalpusher reached a hash near Bergen, on Chili Riga Center Rd.
- 2015-04-07 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum reached a hash in someone's driveway.
- 2015-04-03 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum reached a hash on the sidewalk along Elmcroft Rd.
- 2015-02-14 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum reached a hash in Black Creek Park.
- 2014-11-19 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum reached a hash on S Clinton Ave.
- 2014-11-16 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum reached a hash at the corner of Clinton and Andrews.
- 2014-11-15 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum reached a hash on the shoulder of North Rd.
- 2014-10-22 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum had a drink with their hashpoint.
- 2014-08-10 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum reached a hash by the side of Route 531.
- 2014-06-19 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum reached a hash in the parking lot of Our Lady of Mercy High School.
- 2014-06-14 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum reached a hash on Buckwheat Dr.
- 2014-05-24 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum reached a hash at an electric pole on Moul Rd.
- 2014-01-04 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum reached a hash on Lill St, near the corner of Radio St.
- 2013-05-24 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum tried to reach a hashpoint, but went to the wrong spot due to dead GPS batteries.
- 2013-05-21 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum visited the 2008-05-21 coordinates instead, in celebration of geohashing day.
- 2013-05-19 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum fails to gain access to a hashpoint at the Monroe County Fleet Center.
- 2013-05-06 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum reached a hash in someone's backyard.
- 2013-05-04 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum reached a hash on an appendix-shaped Cul de Sac.
- 2013-03-11 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum reached a hash on Leeward Lane Cul de Sac.
- 2013-03-02 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum reached a hash down a snowy runway.
- 2013-02-22 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum reached a hash at Durand Eastman Golf Course.
- 2012-10-20 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum reached a hash in an old lot.
- 2012-09-03 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum reached a hash by a pond in a business park.
- 2012-08-05 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum reached a hash by the roadside.
- 2012-06-30 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum reached a hash in someone's driveway.
- 2012-06-29 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum attempted to reach a hashpoint in someone's backyard, but could not gain access.
- 2012-06-03 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum met a police officer near a hash at an airport, but didn't reach the hashpoint.
- 2012-05-10 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum reached a hash on a cell tower access road.
- 2012-05-07 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum reached a hash in the woods in Webster.
- 2012-04-23 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum reached a hash in a muddy field.
- 2012-04-19 43 -77 Hic Sunt Laganum reached a hash in someone's driveway.
- 2012-04-07 43 -77 New geohashers Hic Sunt Laganum appear in the graticule after more than 3 years of dormancy.
2008-05-22 43 -77 Emmett Joseph Hardiman, born 12:15pm
2008-05-24 43 -77 First Saturday after original post. Coordinates are 43.126648°, -77.547534°, which is near the southwest corner of Elmwood and Clover in the town of Brighton, just across I-590 from Twelve Corners.
2008-05-31 43 -77 South of Macedon near the end of a cul-de-sac. Five of us reached and had an epic time frolicking about vacant farmland and patronizing a local diner. Pics inside.
2008-06-07 43 -77 is in Lake Ontario, and our old standby (42,-77) is also underwater in a finger lake, I'm thinking to skip. Oh, and it's not near Mt. Morris like I said earlier, I used Fri's coords on accident :p Buffalo's coords (42,-78) are reasonably close to Nunda, which isn't terribly hard to get to... --danierrr
2008-06-14 43 -77 It's in lake Ontario again, but the Canandaigua graticule puts it just southwest of Geneva, close by Seneca Lake. The Buffalo graticule isn't too bad, either; it's a little west of Geneseo.
- The suggested location is in a public trail area surrounded by protected wetlands, and featuring heron, geese, wild berries and flowers.
2008-06-21 43 -77 Lake Ontario again, so 2008-06-21 42 -77 it was. Subdivision outside of Honeoye Falls. Actual point appeared to have a house on it; did not explore, although the public road passed within 120 feet or so. Ryan and Dawn were there, but didn't see anyone else.
2008-07-05 43 -77 Coords are on land, just south of Brockport. Point reached by danierrr, Sabbrielle, Kyle and Caitlin. Dawn and Ryan honoured the crop by remaining at base camp. Afterwards, the geohashers retired to the Brockport Diner for chocolate milkshakes. Some photos posted; the whole set is on danierrr's Facebook.
2008-07-19 43 -77 Land ho! Coords place it smack in the middle of Churchville Park Golf Course, a public park, so we shouldn't have any access issues. Churchville is, from Rochester, on I-490W a few miles before it meets the I-90 to Buffalo. Will someone have a handheld GPS? danierrr doesn't. Impossible to reach the *exact* coords without one. . . Ryan/Dawn? UPDATE: Please to meet at the Anderson shelter, the closest mapped landmark to the geohash. Here's the map of the park: www.monroecounty.gov/Image/ChurchvillePark.pdf UPDATE PART THE SECOND: Coords reached by danierrr, pics forthcoming. Didn't see anyone else around. Hung out at coords until 5pm, catching up on some reading :)
2008-08-02 43 -77 Land! In Garland, 2mi NE of Brockport. danierrr suggests parking at the end of Clarkridge Dr, a few thousand feet SE of the exact coordinates, although he won't be joining in (sorry!)
2008-08-09 43 -77 We see land again just a few miles North of Newark. diello and boyfriend parked at Peacewood Farm (roughly an hour late) and asked the owner Greg if we could walk toward that post in his crops. Our coordinates led right smack on the post, where we found *shiver* a Japanese Beetle trap. "Is it full?" asked Greg. Check out the pictures on my profile, and you tell me. Don't forget to scroll down for a link to the video I shot.