Victoria, British Columbia
|Lake Cowichan||Victoria||Bellingham, Washington|
|Forks, Washington||Olympic National Park, Washington||Seattle, Washington|
The Victoria, British Columbia graticule is located at latitude 48, longitude -123. It encompasses the southeastern tip of Vancouver Island (including Victoria, Duncan, Sidney, Sooke, and part of Ladysmith), roughly one third of the San Juan islands, most of the Southern Gulf Islands (including Salt Spring Island, Saturna Island, Galiano Island and Pender Island) and part of the northern coast of the Olympic Peninsula (including Port Angeles and Sequim).
As a result, a good number of geohashes have landed in the ocean or the US. Consideration has been given to forming a marathon canoeing club. Canoe polo would also be appreciated.
According to Land usage, the chance for your hash to fall into one of the following areas is:
50.66% Water 44.98% Fields 3.98% Natural reserves 0.29% Settlements 0.05% Highways 0.04% Roads
- Naturalnumber - Occasionally
- Halfling Rogue - when she has
a bus passthe means and the time. Can be bothered on LiveJournal.
- tarpman - up for anything that can be reached with a Victoria bus pass. Needs email notification due to lack of Facebook.
- HarlequinsDad - Visiting from the Seattle graticule when it is possible.
- Elbie - visiting from Vancouver
- Wenslayer - living and working quite close to Saanich Commonwealth Place, is available to road-bike on weekends mostly, although will cut out of work early if the coordinates are reachable.
- Jrade - new, but excited, and will happily drive anywhere on-island, as well as go kayaking, if strictly necessary.
- Muffin - also new, also excited. Muffin can also juggle.
 Notable Dates
- 2010-08-04: Golf Geohash achievement for Wenslayer by reaching the coordinates at Cordova Bay Golf Club.
- 2010-07-17 and 2010-07-18: Wenslayer attempted two Geohashes in a row! Thwarted on the first attempt, but successful on the second (with daughter accompanying him along on the third wheel).
- 2010-04-01: Wenslayer biked through the rain to make his second Geohash at Millstream and Lost Lake road.
- 2009-06-22: Wenslayer came within 8m of reaching a point just off shore in Coles Bay off the Saanich Peninsula.
- 2009-06-13: Newcomer Wenslayer attempted to reach a point within the William Head Correctional Facility (minimum security prison), and was convincingly thwarted.
- 2009-05-23: Five Vancouver graticule natives celebrated Geohashing Day on Salt Spring Island.
- 2009-05-17: Elbie kayaked to the hash point in Satellite Channel between Schwartz Bay and Saltspring Island.
- 2009-04-25: Elbie biked over 90 km in a day to get kicked off a golf course. Dino and Cooki also attended, bringing the count to a record three hashers on a Saturday.
 Other Geohashes Here
For a list and photo gallery of all geohashes attempted in this graticule, see Category:Meetup in 48 -123.