Hi Crox, great poster tool, thank you very much!
Is it maybe possible to provide a translated version? This might be more encouraging to locals to respond. I would have offered to help translating the poster to German, but looking at the Babel template on your user page you probably don't need help there ;) LeslieHapablap (talk) 05:06, 11 May 2013 (EDT)
- Hello, and thank you for your feedback.
- Since the documents are generated dynamically, each text can be easily translated (with the exception of the customized comic), and I'm happy to implement that feature. I actually considered a multilingual design similar to this Berlin poster, but dropped it in favor of the current version mainly because most of the wiki is written in English anyway.
- Maybe another option instead of translating the whole poster would be to add a prominent localized "what is this about" text/link? It should even be possible to "calculate" the local language at the geohash and embed this dynamically.
- What are your thoughts?
- You are right about most of the wiki being English, but many of the important pages explaining what geohashing is about are translated to several languages. A translated version of the poster should probably include a link to the main page in this language (if available). A prominent localized "about" text passage is of course also fine! But If you calculate the language based on the coordinates I would vote for a manual override option because there will be many special cases (e.g. Südtirol).
Comic generator does no longer work. I would guess his harddrive is full? I have taken his code and setup a second location here: http://draradech.de/cgi-bin/comic.py?year=2008&month=5&day=24&lat=55.218512&lon=6.566854, so you can use that (either as backup, or in general). Draradech (talk) 15:08, 14 May 2013 (EDT)
- Thanks! In the meanwhile, I have reimplemented it based on Hugo's code and files and integrated it in the poster generation. This allowed me to improve (I hope) the overall look, and also to add support for globalhashes directly in the comic generation tool instead of the rather ugly overlay hack I was using before... I will do my best to find the time to cleanup the new code and release it asap. --Crox (talk) 15:30, 15 May 2013 (EDT)
The advert banner on the discussion page is a bit misleading, as it tells people they can make comments without registering, which is not true. If you try to edit a discussion page without being logged in you are told that you don't have the permission to edit. --LeslieHapablap (talk) 00:09, 24 June 2013 (EDT)