My kingdom for a boat consolation prize
Take this ribbon because your quest for the hashpoint was ended on the shore of a body of water that you somehow failed to account for when planning the expedition.
This is not to console you for the fact that a given day's point falls in inaccessible water. If you can see it's in water, or unreachable because of water before you start, then that's just the way geohashing works, even if you went to the shore to look longingly at it. Take this ribbon if the point appeared to be on land, yet turned out to be in a seasonal lake, or in terrain that was flooded by a dam built since Google's survey was done. Also take it if the point itself was on land, but the road was flooded, or your path met an unfordable river, an uncircumnavigable ditch or other body of water that wasn't in the satellite view, or looked like a field or road. If the progress-impeding body of water is an unexpected swamp, then the There Might be Alligators! ribbon is in order.
Before you give up and take this ribbon, consider the MacGyver Achievement. Can you build a bridge, raft or nuclear submarine out of garbage lying around the shore? Even if you fail in that endeavour, you can pack out the collected garbage and take the Geotrash Geohash achievement.
- 2008-06-24 53 9 was not exactly reached by Hermann and Felix because the geohash was in the middle of a swamp
- 2008-07-16 47 -122 While the Google satelite photo showed ample beach, there was none. We must assume that the photo was taken at a very low tide and our visit was at high tide. The exact point was under about 15 feet of water and about 150 yards offshore - so Harlequin and HarlquinsDad got as close as we could.
- 2008-07-24 47 -122 Seattle again, where the map showed no major bodies of water between Thomcat and the hash point. Sloughs don't follow normal maps, apparently, and satellites can be blocked by trees.
- 2009-08-25 47 -65 In Bathurst, New Brunswick, wmcduff was thwarted by beavers. No, seriously. He was.
- 2009-10-24 50 -1 Hythe, Hampshire, UK. Sermoa might have reached the geohash point if the tide of Southampton Water was out. But it wasn't. And i had no boat.
 Ribbon TemplateTemplate:My kingdom for a boat
| This user earned the My kingdom for a boat consolation prize