User talk:The ru
- I like music hash.
- I think it could be fun. IMO the proof should be an audio (or even video) recording of the music performed. --12:33, 13 February 2009 (UTC)
- I think we should have a few less rigidly defined achievements that people can customize. A general one for "other transportation" that could be customized for skiing, for you. A general one for unexpected things found at the geohash, that could be customized for llamas, for me. A general one for costume: spider-man, metal hash, whatever people treasure. -Robyn 09:53, 13 February 2009 (UTC)
- The objections that were raised against skiing geohash;
- a) that it wasn't unique enough to distinguish it from a walk geohash - I disagree with this, it's not the same at all.
- b) that the whole distance should be covered on skis, to make it analogous to the walk and bicycle geohash. I somewhat agree, but it would also make the achievement so much harder that there wouldn't be much point in having them at all. That's why I haven't pushed the matter further, but if I or someone else ever does an all-skiing geohash, I will. It would be hard to draw the line anywhere else, though. I personally consider it a skiing geohash if I skii for longer time than I drive, but OTOH I don't think skiing geohashes should have any advantage over the other manual modes of transport. I'm not sure if I should complain about long distances or just be happy I live in a relatively small graticule, but really, it is hard to get anywhere from my location.
- People not from nordic countries don't really understand that skis are a means of transportation. Would you be happy with a customizable "unique transport" award? My idea was that if enough people claimed the same method of transport, such that it was certainly not unique, it could get its own award. Have fun, write good expedition reports, and people will start making awards for you, which is kind of more fun than making them for yourself.
- Since I haven't done any expeditions purely on skis yet, it doesn't really matter. Just like there are no places not within walking distance, there shouldn't be any not within skiing distance. The ru 13:06, 16 February 2009 (UTC)
- ... but you might have to wait for the next ice age? You know quoting me regarding walking distance is the way to get me on side, don't you. It drives me crazy when people maintain "you can't walk there" when they mean "I'm physically incapable of walking further than the parking lot." -Robyn 16:34, 16 February 2009 (UTC)
- Anyway, I think there is room for more achievements, even silly ones. However, I won't be adding any of my own ideas until they are accepted by the community in general. I also think some could be removed until proven (MacGyver),
- I like that one being there as something to strive for, inspiration for the otherwise unreachable hash.
- I just don't see how it could be done - but I guess that's the point of the achievement. E.g. we can't chop down trees to build a raft, since that would be against the law and geohashing spirit. And I don't think a vehicle constructed in a few hours would be sophisticated enough to actually travel any distance. But I'd sure like to be proven wrong! The ru 13:06, 16 February 2009 (UTC)
- On the ocean there is plenty of driftwood that could easily be made into a raft and paddles without harming anything. I think makeshift snowshoes might count, or perhaps a travois pulled by a fellow geohasher. -Robyn 01:15, 20 April 2009 (UTC)
- as well as the ones that can retroactivelly be revoked (Last Man Standing).
- I think that one doesn't work well myself, but I like the idea of incentive to geohash when no one else is. -Robyn 20:35, 13 February 2009 (UTC)
- Costume geohash is a good idea. --12:33, 13 February 2009 (UTC)
 Image categories
Hi ru -- another good expedition or two, I see! May I ask if you could please add a couple of categories to each image when you upload photos, please? Using [[Category:Meetup on YYYY-MM-DD]] and [[Category:Meetup in NN EEE]] would be great -- thanks! -- Benjw 16:36, 3 May 2009 (UTC)
- I've started doing this now, for most of my new expeditions and some of the older ones. Will do more when I'm bored! :-D --The ru 10:59, 12 May 2009 (UTC)
- Much obliged, thanks! -- Benjw 11:13, 12 May 2009 (UTC)