hey Gareth, welcome to geohashing! Please tell us the story of your first geohash. Also, don't hesitate to ask if you need any help with wiki syntax. --joannac 01:49, 3 August 2009 (UTC)
Hi! I'm so glad to see someone else geohashing in 42, -72, and my kids will be glad to know there's another child geohasher here. Maybe we'll meet some day. We could even set up an alternate meetup location some day somewhere around 42.075, -72.57 or 42.345, -72.69 Sara 15:58, 3 August 2009 (UTC)
- Gareth is 2008 ;) so probably not --joannac 00:39, 4 August 2009 (UTC)
Thanks for the offer joanna, I was actually wondering if there are any page templates.
Sara, we will both definitely be going out on sun and/or mon so keep an eye out for those, and msg
me if you are going to any. Gavin would definitely think its cool if there were other kids at a hash.
- Hey Gareth, there sure are! Template:Expedition for expeditions reports or planning. Creating_a_Graticule_Page goes into templates for a graticule page. User pages are freeform, but have a look around for what other people have done with theirs, and some advice is here: Creating_a_User_Page. Or was there a template for something else you wanted? --joannac 02:24, 4 August 2009 (UTC)
 An actual MEETUP in this graticule
We might be free Sun. 8/9, as long as we can get home by 4:30. I'll get in touch with you Friday when we know where the Sunday coordinates are. The problem is, although I'm sure you're a totally non-ax-murdering safe person, I wouldn't be doing my parenting due diligence if I told someone on the Internet that I had never met that I'm going alone with my two children to a specific set of coordinates in the middle of the woods at a certain time on a certain day. Maybe the first time we meet, we can meet at a public location and then proceed to the hashpoint. (That's why I suggested an alternate location for the first meetup at Forest Park or Look Park, or whatever is convenient for you, but I admit that that's not really geohashing.) Or maybe I'll throw caution to the winds and assume that you must be ok because your kid is cute. Or maybe I can convince my husband to come geohashing just once. Sara 03:34, 4 August 2009 (UTC)
- It wouldn't be negligent of you. They're more likely to be harmed in a vehicle accident on the way. The experts will tell you that it is helpful if you tell someone where you're going and when you expect to be back. Juventas 04:29, 4 August 2009 (UTC)
- Juventas, I know you're correct, but I guess one gets slightly paranoid and illogical about one's own kids. In this climate of overprotective child-rearing, one gets carried away. Sara 02:58, 6 August 2009 (UTC)
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I am not sure which day I'll be able to go out yet, distance is of course a factor, and I have to take my wifes schedule into account. As far as worrying about me being a psycho, you could send me an email and I could give you all my info. Regardless Gavin & I will keep on doing our thing. I must say though its somewhat funny that a place you suggest meeting up with me is a neighborhood I grew up and attended school in many years ago, and I would consider its safety questionable. Alot can change about an area I guess. garethx1
- Garethx1, I see I can email you from the wiki, so we can use that method to agree on a meetup time/location if the coordinates for the weekend look good. You can email me from the wiki also if you want.
- Are you talking about Forest Park being a questionable neighborhood or Look Park? You were probably talking about Forest Park. I meant to suggest meeting inside the park at the playground/zoo or duck ponds, which are full of families and very safe, not outside the park in what I agree is a questionable neighborhood these days. The coordinates I gave may have actually fallen outside the park, so I apologize if I was unclear. That's what I get for trying to be funny and not saying what I meant. But anyway, let's hope for good coordinates this weekend, and maybe we can meet at the hashpoint, and if our schedules don't permit a meetup this weekend, I hope you and Gavin have a great time hashing, and I'm sorry if it seemed as if I was worried that you were a psycho. Sara 02:58, 6 August 2009 (UTC)
Hi Gareth. This weekends coordinates are pretty far from Springfield, so the kids and I are very unlikely to go. I'll email you next time we're going to geohash, which could be during the week, and we'll see if we can meet up. Sara 05:06, 8 August 2009 (UTC)