2010-05-05 44 4
From Geo Hashing
As in a text message from Danatar:
Wed 5.5.: 44 4 is 3km W from Ales (cathedral!) between the villages St-jean-du-pin and Auzas in the forest next to the road.
Plans? We did not even have a map!
I had asked Danatar and davidc to text me coordinates while we were in France. Yes, I am a sucker for redundancy. Thanks a lot to both of you. :D
- We followed the signage to Alès, which is a decently sized town.
- From there on, we followed compass directions to the hash.
- Our first approaches ended at private driveways about 3.1km from the hash.
- The final approach is the road of the common wood - cf. the google map view in the tracklog section
- From there, it was just 1.2km, and there were paths through the forest
- ...which ended at the river.
- ...so we followed the river.
- It meandered, as rivers like to do, so we took a few shortcuts through the brambles.
- Southern French undergrowth is pretty dense, as there is not much overgrowth to steal the sun.
- We approached the hash with every step, but we could not see the road Danatar mentioned, and it got dark quickly.
- We aborted the mission about 150m from the hash, when we would have had to leave the riverbed (again) to climb a steep cliff through more brambles.