2010-03-14 52 13
A nice location near Potsdam-Pirschheide. Regio train and Tram from Potsdam go there. Nice lakes are in walking distance - yay!
- Phoenix plans to be on the spot ; still to be decided when exactly ...
- Sorry, had some guests on Sunday and forgot about the hash completely :( Had some pie at home though :)
- pari is back and ready for a hash :)
- I will probably bring a drag-along who won't be available before 4pm. ETA at hash between 17:00 and 17:30 CET. --pari 16:04, 13 March 2010 (UTC)
- Sorry, weather is too bad and doesn't seem to get better. Won't come today. --pari 15:51, 14 March 2010 (UTC)
- davidc will aim to be there around 17:00 too then.
- I have sourced some pie. davidc 13:34, 14 March 2010 (UTC)
The weather was looking fine enough when we were due to leave home at 15:30, so we decided to chance it and took the RE down to Potsdam and a local train and then a bus to a stop just opposite the forest track leading to the hash point. Only at this point did the heavens unleash their fury at our audacity for attempting the hash, and flurries of heavy snow fell wave upon unmerciful wave.
However we were not to be stopped so close to our goal, especially on Pi day of all days. Nearly three months since my last hash and there was pie to be eaten: eating it a bus stop so close to the hash would have been a pitiful defeat.
As it turned out, the hash was in the middle of a wide path leading directly through the forest and was therefore quickly reached. A nearby tree was selected 10 metres off the path, the closest tree of sufficient girth for the QR Flag of Geohashdom. We decided not to eat pie at the hash point as it was altogether far too cold and miserable and after a while, having only seen a solitary jogger of indeterminable sanity, we decided not to wait for others and headed over to the Pirschheide train station.
It was about 3.5 minutes before our train was due that I suddenly recalled that there was supposed to be a nearby geocache and hurriedly looked it up. Fortunately it was just off the station platform and the coordinates were accurate, so GC246QR Bahnhof Pirschheide was quickly logged just in time for the train home.
We are now toweling each other off and enjoying slices of Apfeltorte, Schokoladentorte and a glass of Haut Montravel.
Happy Pi Day!
 Live notes
- arrived at bus stop by hash but it just started chucking it down. Sigh! davidc 16:05, 14 March 2010 (UTC)
- too cold to hang around, will have to have celebratory pie at the station davidc 16:31, 14 March 2010 (UTC)