XKCD travel guide
Welcome to the #xkcd travel guide, where denizens list things like delicious foods and beverages to be found in various cities, or other interesting stuff!
We welcome contributions from all around the world!
You might be surprised by how many of us travel!
Editing the map
To get access to edit the map, contact Froward.
- You can use a PM (personal message) or if he's not around/responding, send a memo.
- Send a memo by typing /msg memoserv Froward Please give me access to the XKCD travel map! [EMAIL ADDRESS]
- You will need a valid email address to receive the email!
- And it must work as a Google login! (It doesn't HAVE to be a gmail address, but it helps).
- Admins will be able to see your email address and the name associated with it.
- You should be a regular in #xkcd in good standing. If you haven't ever chatted with Froward, he probably won't approve you unless you have someone who can vouch for you.
- Type a query into the search box.
- Select a result from the list.
- Click the green pin.
- Click "add to map".
- Drag your new locations into your own layer, if you like
- Click the location in the list on the left.
- Click the pin where it appears.
- Look for the tiny pencil icon in the lower right corner of the box that pops up.
- Sign your description with your nick, so we know who to blame if it turns out that place is shit. I sign mine ~Froward. You should use your own nick. Not Froward.
- Write in any caveats you can think of. "They have food but it's awful" or "don't show up before 6pm on a Thursday, the beer isn't changed yet"
Add new layer
- In the box on the left, click the two grey diamonds.
- If there is already a layer for your city, please add to it!
Import layer from existing map
- If you like, you can import a layer from your OWN google maps!
- Export your old map into KML (click the three dots next to Share, then click Export to KML)
- Save the file to your computer
- Add a new layer on this map.
- Click "import from KML". This only appears for new layers.
Color code the pins
Feel free to customize, but be consistent! Updated legend in map description.
- RED is for Food
- BLUE is for Booze/Beer
- BROWN is for Coffee
- YELLOW is for Other
- Click a location on the list on the left.
- Click the grey Y symbol between the trashcan and the pencil.