I realize I started a horrible trend when I redirected User:Glench -> Glench and User:Shoofle -> Shoofle. I did that because I thought the glench/shoofle/gloofle mini-meme was cute and harmless. Perhaps too cute and harmless.
Now we have shitloads of user pages that aren't really user pages. root, creature, ThatGuy and probably a few more. On the one hand, I think these pages should be moved to the User namespace. On the other hand, standard wiki policy is Don't Fuck With Other People's User Pages.
- I always thought that standard wiki policy was that you can mess with the user page itself, but not any subpages in the userspace. Elyscape 20:19, 3 May 2008 (UTC)
I never really payed attention to this. I'll go move mine to User:Reefstiz. Thanks for alerting me about this. -Reefstiz
The "comment guy"
Just look at the History for this article. There's an edit war between me and 18.104.22.168 on one side, and some moron who uses a new IP address each time and likes to remove the "Alack, a wiki" section and add "commentN," above the ToC. What the hell? Daedalus 12:42, 22 June 2008 (UTC)
Can We Block 22.214.171.124?
He/She/It/They keep editing the frontpage and wiki-spamming.
I brought this back to a version by Mewyn some time ago as it seemed the "Things that are here" section was a casualty in the war against spambots. Hope I didn't delete any valid edits, please check if you edited the front page recently. (this is Ollie, don't feel like logging in) 126.96.36.199
Sorry about the double edit there. I had trouble finding a revision date without all of the garbled spam. Instead, I have just deleted the spam. I claim the IP right before my username edit, as I hadn't been logged in at the time of the first edit.- Val 10:26, 26 August 2008 (UTC)
Can we get a protection (user edits only) on the front page if that's where the brunt of vandalism is occurring? Ollie 19:21, 26 August 2008 (UTC)
Do all wikis have this degree of constant spam attack? I've never seen anything quite like it.
Another goddamn spam attack
Just did some revert/fixings :S It was 188.8.131.52 . This seems like the work of some automaton. Palomides 00:47, 29 August 2008 (UTC)
Feel free to drop a note on my talk page, or pop into #xkcdwiki, to report spammers to me, so I can block them. IceKarma 01:30, 29 August 2008 (UTC)
Things that could be here
Considering that all the comics since I'm An Idiot (#530) aren't on OhNoRobot and that i couldn't find a way for users to help transcribe them, and also because i dislike how a search result can be listed multiple times (if the search term appears more than once in the text), would having the transcriptions here be OK? (And if so, should 530 redirect to I'm An Idiot, or vice versa?) -- CrystyB 14:39, 21 January 2010 (UTC)
- I'll do this in my userspace, until i get an answer... -- CrystyB 16:14, 16 March 2010 (UTC)
- The transcriptions are waiting to be approved, I think. Are you saying you want to create 2 wiki pages for every comic, and do the transcriptions here? I anticipate more spam, but only one way to find out, right? :) --joannac 00:18, 17 March 2010 (UTC)
- I agree, spam could become a threat, but fully protecting pages would be an option, wouldn't it? -- CrystyB 06:53, 9 April 2010 (UTC)
- I see the ONR database has advanced a bit, to 580, but it's still late (xkcd is at 725) and "closed-source". The point of having the transcriptions in a wiki is that they can be improved by any number of available contributors, and lists and inter-links (and potentially even wiki-links, multimedia files, or references to tweets and other external sources) could be made for and/or added to the articles. -- CrystyB 06:53, 9 April 2010 (UTC)