The official #mafia wiki has moved to http://mafianode.com/wiki.
Mafia is a game of paranoia and psychological intrigue. You begin in a small, cozy town. Everything is nice and swell, until reports of gang related deaths fill the papers! The mafia have infiltrated your own town and it is your duty to weed them out before they kill every last one of you...
Everyone in this group appears to be a common citizen, but several of you are 'special' and have special powers that you must use to find the scum and have them lynched. A small amount of you are actually in the Mafia, trying to kill everyone while concealing their true identity.
One of the first things I must do, is relay to you are the channel rules. If you are not willing to follow these rules to the letter AND the spirit of the law, then #mafia is not the place for you. All decisions and punishments will be made on a case-by-case basis by a channel op. If you disagree with the ruling of a channel op, try PMing them and calmly explaining your side of the story (ops can be wrong too!).
By remaining in the channel, you agree to the following rules as interpreted by the channel ops:
0) The channel ops reserve the right to remove any player from the game or channel with or without reason. They also reserve the right to change, modify, delete, add, or reinterpret any of the channel rules with or without reason at any time. (Don't worry, we're not evil people! I swear! This is just so we cover our all our bases.)
1) NO out-of-channel communication about the current game. This includes (but is not limited to): PMing, IMing, chatting in another channel, skype, and talking on the phone. Use the built-in mchat/whisper function if communication is necessary.
2) NO fucking around and purposely losing the game for either side. This is a pretty vague rule, but when it happens, it is pretty obvious. In short, just play fairly, don't screw over your team. This includes (but is not limited to): quitting mid-game, outing your own mafia scumbuddies, and acting like scum when you're not.
3) NO deleting other players and no ending the game UNLESS all players agree to the deletion or ending.
4) NO abusing the bots. This includes (but is not limited to): spamming the bots, using the bots for botspam, attempting to break the bots, and attempting to get around any restrictions placed upon your use of the bots. There are multiple bots in this channel (more on them will be talked about later).
5) NO distasteful behavior. This is a very general, catch-all rule that includes (but is not limited to): spamming (in or out of game), insulting other player(s), excessive (in the eyes of an op) /b/tarding, obstruction (i.e. ruining an op's rant, a person trying to explain himself/herself), excessive advertising, posting NSFW (Not Safe For Work) material without properly labeling it 'NSFW', fostering rule-breaking, and ban-avoidance. We are trying to keep this channel fun and friendly and thus will enforce this rule strictly.
6) NO in-game copy-pasting of role notices or any other game-related material received from the moderator.
7) DO NOT join a game if you do not have the fullest intentions of playing through the entire game. So if you think you might have to go afk, do not join.
8) DO NOT bring in/use your own bot/script in #mafia or related channels without the explicit permission of a channel op. Generally, most scripts will be fine and an op will agree to it being brought in (we're pretty chill peeps, fo' sho! :P). However, if an annoying/rule-breaking script/bot is brought into the channel, the bot/script AND its respective owner will be banned from the channel. Any op may revoke permission at any time.
9) DO NOT PING/HILIGHT NAMELESS! He doesn't like over 9,000 notices of people pinging him. Violators may BE KICKED
10) DO NOT begin a game or a mass claim without performing a successful AFK check. The initiator must require that ALL users respond immediately after the AFK check is called. The success of an AFK check is defined later in this article.
322) "You may not act like an ass to women because they are women. You may not pepper them with obviously gender-prompted comments when they enter the channel. You may not joke 'there are no women on the internet' or 'pix plz' or 'tits or gtfo.' In light of how poorly women are treated in the geek/hacker communities in general, this behavior is unacceptable and will get you permanently banned from the channel on the first violation." xkcd://322
How do you play?
First, a group of atleast 4 players must join the game. After it is agreed upon, the gamestarter (the person who first began the signup process) must start the game. The moderator randomly assigns each player a role. If there is a night start, any night actions must be completed then. The night is timed, so you must hurry with your actions! During the day, a victim (chosen by the mafia) will turn up dead. It is the duty of the town to weed out the mafia with logic and the truth. The mafia, however, must use trickery, false claiming, and false logic to make the truth seem different then it actually is. This is all done by talking and discussing possibilities, asking questions, and fact checking. A majority consensus must be reached before lynching a person during the day.
See also: Mafia Strategy
Now that you know the basic gist of the game, now you just gotta learn the slang used in the game and by the denizens of the channel.
Away From Keyboard check (AFK check): This is a check to see if any player is not currently active in the channel. A successful AFK check occurs when all players respond immediately after a check is called. If too much time has elapsed, one must assume that the check is unsuccessful and should debate whether or not to end the game. AFK checks must be performed before starting a game and performing a Mass Claim. It is highly recommended that an AFK check is performed at the beginning of each day.
bussing (bus): This mafia strategy involves trying to cast suspicion on mafia partner(s) in order to divert suspicion from yourself.
clear: A player is only clear when there is absolutely no doubt that the player is townie.
cop: 'cop' is short for 'sheriff'. (This role will be explained later)
Counter Claim (cc): A counter claim occurs when more people than possible claim a role. This can occur when two people claim the role of a doc (when there is only one doc in the setup).
det: 'det' is short for 'detective'. (This role will be explained later)
doc: 'doc' is short for 'doctor'. (This role will be explained later)
Finger Of Suspicion (fos): When someone feels that a player is overly suspicious, they may point their Finger Of Suspicion.
Free lynch: A situation when town has the ability to lynch someone who is town, without losing the game. If there's 5 players alive and only 1 mafia, then town has a freelynch since after lynching a town player, night will be 4 alive, 3 town 1 mafia. The next day would be 3 alive with 2 town and 1 mafia. Free lynch is a better term than random lynch because a free lynch is a chance to eliminate the most scummy players. The same careful reasoning that occurs during lylo should go into a free lynch since the town's goal is to lynch mafia.
giraffe: Qwertial Aphasia. xkcd://604
hammer: The hammer is the last vote needed to lynch.
LYnch or LOse (lylo): This is a situation where the amount of mafia is one less than the number of townies. If the town does not lynch this day, mafia will win at night. If there is a mislynch, the mafia will win immediately. All power roles should claim in this situation. No-lynching here is fatal for the town.
Mass Claim (mc): This town strategy involves getting all players to claim at the same time. This does not allow mafia to easily adapt to certain people claiming certain roles and actions. All Power Roles should also include any actions they performed during all of the nights that have passed.
MislYnch and LOse (mylo): This is a situation where the amount of mafia is two less than the number of townies. If the town mislynches, the mafia will win at night. Nolynch here is the current accepted strategy in this situation if there are no definite sheriff results.
MisLynch (ml): This is the incorrect lynch of a townie.
No Lynch (nl): When the town feels that no decision can be made of whom to lynch, they might decide to do a No Lynch. In this case, nobody would be lynched that day. This is most commonly used when the town wants to give the sheriff another chance or if they just want to narrow down the choices for a random lynch the next day.
oc: 'oc' is short for 'ordinary citizen'. (This role will be explained later)
Power Role (pr): This is any role that has a special power moreso than an Ordinary Citizen. Examples are: sheriff, doctor, detective.
Random Lynch (rl): The term "Random" is misleading. See Free Lynch.
scum: 'scum' is short for any mafia role. (Mafia roles will be explained later)
scumtell: After playing many games of mafia, many mafia strategies and trends start showing. Obvious trends may be considered 'scumtells'. This is a hard term to define (because some mafia players have different strategies) and the player must figure out what sort of things to expect from scum.
townie: Any town-sided player.
Wine In Front Of Me (wifom): This is perhaps the most difficult term to define. Named after this scene in The Princess Bride, WIFOM is a situation where one or more parties try to predict what one or more other parties will do, and in doing so, attempt to take into considering the fact that the other parties know that this is being considered. In short, MINDFUCK!
Psst, I'll let you in on a little secret. Dritz (one of the writers of pyGBot) is currently rewriting the entire mafia plugin for pyGBot! There will be countless possibilities for roles and such. Because of that, I can only give you the current (August 21, 2009) possible roles.
Agent: Mafia. This is an interesting scum role. Agents have the power to sneak into the police station once a night, and permanently alter the files on one person of their choosing. For example: If the agent alters the files of an innocent player, the police's files will say that the innocent player is actually mafia! The same is true vice versa. The Agent, however, cannot alter their own files. The Agent also cannot kill at night.
Detective: Town. In situations when the moderator does not reveal the roles of the dead publicly, the Detective is perhaps the most valuable role for the town. Whenever a person dies, their true roles are revealed to the Detective, Agent's power does not affect the Detective's report.
Doctor: Town. This role is arguably the most powerful role. Each night, the doctor can choose one player to save that night. If the mafia target that player, the Doctor prevents the player from dying. If the Doctor makes a save, the saved person receives a notice from the moderator saying that they were saved by an anonymous Doctor. (If it helps you, I imagine the Doctor sneaking under his/her target's bed and waiting for the mafia to come and attack. If the Doctor's target is attacked by the mafia, the doctor pops out and heals the patient. Unfortunately, the Doctor only can see the feet of the attackers, therefore can't say who it was. Before the patient can wake up, the Doctor sneaks out. This also explains why the Doctor can't self-save!)
Mafia (killer): Mafia. This is the standard, run-of-the-mill hitman. Each night the Mafia(s) vote on who they would like to kill for the next day. The Mafia may also choose to nokill.
Ordinary Citizen: Town. This is just an ordinary citizen who has no special powers.
Sheriff: Town. Each night, the sheriff has the ability to check one player's files to see if the player is 'mafia' or 'innocent'. If the sheriff checks the Agent's files, the sheriff receives an unaltered, special report saying the player is an agent. The sheriff (and rest of town) must keep in mind, that, if an Agent is in the setup, the investigation results might not be accurate. (I dunno why the cop doesn't just look at everyone's files the first night, he's probably too busy watching Burn Notice or something...)
On lylo (and on other rare occassions), players claim their roles to help hunt for scum. When more than one person claims the same role or a player's claim contradicts another player's, they are counter-claims (CC's).
1) There must be an AFK check to make sure that no one is absent. Everyone must respond to the AFK check. This prevents late claims, which can be considered a scumtell.
2) After everyone responds to the AFK check, any player can set a timer to claim by. To set a timer, use kiwi's command ">timer x". The timer should be approximately 15 seconds long. If two players set a timer simultaneously, use the longer timer. If kiwi is absent from the channel, then a player will perform a countdown.
3) When the timer runs out, state your role and any information you have. A detective would give the roles of the dead players, a sheriff would state who they checked and their result, and a doctor would claim who they saved. Ordinary Citizens have no abilities and would just claim OC. Mafia and Agent would claim one of the other roles and attempt to shift suspicion to their CC's.
Until things change with the rewrite, all setups are open, that means the possible roles are known by all. A setup depends on the number of players in it. There is a 4 player minimum.
4 players: Role reveal on death. 1 doc, 1 scum(killer), 2 oc
5 players: Role reveal on death. 1 doc, 1 cop, 1 scum(killer), 2 oc
6 players: Noreveal on death. 1 doc, 1 cop, 1 det, 2 scum(1 killer, 1 agent), 1 oc
7 players: Noreveal on death. 1 doc, 1 cop, 1 det, 2 scum(1 killer, 1 agent), 2 oc
8 players: Noreveal on death. 1 doc, 1 cop, 1 det, 2 scum(1 killer, 1 agent), 3 oc
9 players: Noreveal on death. 1 doc, 1 cop, 1 det, 3 scum(2 killer, 1 agent), 3 oc
10 players: Noreveal on death. 1 doc, 1 cop, 1 det, 3 scum(2 killer, 1 agent), 4 oc
11 players: Noreveal on death. 1 doc, 1 cop, 1 det, 3 scum(2 killer, 1 agent), 5 oc
12 players: Noreveal on death. 1 doc, 1 cop, 1 det, 4 scum(3 killer, 1 agent), 5 oc
13 players: Noreveal on death. 1 doc, 1 cop, 1 det, 4 scum(3 killer, 1 agent), 6 oc
14 players: Noreveal on death. 1 doc, 1 cop, 1 det, 4 scum(3 killer, 1 agent), 7 oc
15 players: Noreveal on death. 1 doc, 1 cop, 1 det, 5 scum(4 killer, 1 agent), 7 oc
Common pyGBot Commands
This channel uses pyGBot (under the name of Siobhan) as the moderator. Like most every bot, there are multiple ways of using her commands. For Siobhan, the most commonly accepted method of publicly using comands is with the prefix trigger '!' (i.e. '!join', '!quit', '!lynch'). Commands can also be used via PM ('/msg Siobhan <command>') or talking to her directly ('Siobhan: <command>'). For convenience, I am going use the < > markers to define places where you have to insert certain information (described in the arrows).
alter <target> - Agent night-action only. PM this command to Siobhan to reverse the files of a player.
anon <on/off> - Gamestarter setup phase only. Determine whether or not anonymous lynching will be on or off.
check <target> - Cop night-action only. If you are cop, PM this command to Siobhan to check a player that night.
join - Use this command to join a game that is in its setup phase.
dchat - Dead/spectators only. Use this command if you need another invite to the dchat channel. You will only receive an invite if you are currently dead or spectating an on-going game.
del <player> - This command deletes a player. Use the quit command to delete yourself. DO NOT USE THIS COMMAND UNLESS NECESSARY. Its use is governed by Rule 3.
end - This command ends the game. DO NOT USE THIS COMMAND UNLESS NECESSARY. Its use is governed by Rule 3.
kill <target> - Mafia night-action only. PM this command to Siobhan to vote on a target to kill. The choice must be unanimous.
lynch <target> - Day-action. When you are ready to vote who to lynch, use this command.
mchat <message> - Mafia night-chat only. PM this command to Siobhan to chat between mafia to relay strategy and other conversation.
resetstarter - Gamestarter setup phase only. This will reset the gamestarter and leave control open for all.
save <target> - Doc night-action only. If you are doc, PM this command to Siobhan to save a player that night.
start - First time will begin setup phase and give the person who used the command 'gamestarter' status. Use of this command a second time will start the game (assuming there are atleast 4 people signed up) If the gamestarter does not speak in the channel for 5 minutes, control of the game will be open for all.
timer <0-120> - Gamestarter setup phase only. This command determines the length of each day. 0 = no day time limit.
quit - Use this command to delete yourself from the current game. DO NOT USE THIS COMMAND UNLESS NECESSARY. Its use is governed by Rule 2.
whisper <target> <message>: - Day only. PM this command to Siobhan so you can whisper to a fellow player. However, be careful of what you say, there is a chance that people will overhear you! This is the only Rule friendly method of communication between two live players (excluding mafia's mchat).
There are a few authorized bots in the channel:
Siobhan: pyGBot is a collaborative project between chaos95 and Dritz. Siobhan is the moderator of all the games in this channel. The code is open source and can be found at: link. The SVN is most current.
kiwi: This is just one helpful bot, written by Crayboff, it has been adapted to provide many mafia related functions. kiwi also provides basic game stats and amazing spam protection. The prefix trigger is '>' and talking to kiwi directly activates his markov. All available commands can be found with the 'help' command, individual syntax help can be found with 'help <command>'. The bot is open source and can be found at: link.
Assassins: This bot is totally unrelated to the game of mafia and thus I will direct you to the docs: docs.
Alcon: Alcon is an rbot run by nameless. His main purpose is gain more of a markov base, however he has some limited channel control features. The command trigger is '!', however no response will be given in #mafia. Most commands require you to be on Alcon's user list with the appropriate access. For help, just /msg Alcon help. To leave a user a note, /msg Alcon <user to get note> <note>. The user you specify will receive the note in PM the next time they are active in any channel Alcon is in.
Other #mafia channels in irc.foonetic.net
#pygbot - pyGBot's official support channel.
#kiwi - kiwi's official support channel and testing ground
#m - Excedrin's playground
#mafia-dchat - Dead players and spectators may speak here during games. All will be kicked after the current game ends.
#mafia-discuss - This is the channel for all #mafia meta discussion.
#mafia-testing - Want to test a mafia playing bot? Well, here's the place. pyGBot not included.
#mafia-rewrite - This is where Dritz is testing his mafia rewrite.
#xkcdmafia - Here is where the human modded games are at. Human modded games tend to be much more varied and have crazier roles. They also, usually, have some unique flavour text.
Other mafia-like channels in servers afar...
irc.globalgamers.net - #mafia (The bot running this has pretty much everything... ever.)
irc.synirc.org - #mafia
irc.freenode.org - ##jswolfbot
irc.esper.net - #werewolf
irc.coldfront.net - #werewolf
irc.rizon.net - #mafia
irc.gamesurge.net - #werewolf
efnet - #wolf
irc.dynastynet.net - #mafia
Other mafia resources
These site(s) contain all the mafia resources you'll ever need: