2015 The Hague Meetup
As Thomcat finds himself in the Low Lands again, we're going to do another touristy meet-up. We hope to meet many denizens of #xkcd, #xkcd-signal and #geohashing.
Location and date
We'll meet up at Den Haag Centraal Station on Sunday, June 21st. See the schedule for detailed plans.
If you want to join us later on the day, no problem. But we'll probably be elsewhere in the city. Please message CO2 if you'd like to exchange phone numbers.
Please note we'll meet up at the station Den Haag CS, not at the similarly named 'Den Haag HS' station. If you come from abroad, the Dutch Railways are crappy about selling stuff to foreigners. They refuse many kinds of non-Dutch credit and bank cards and may ask a higher price. You can buy printable tickets with any card for the normal price, for both national and international train journeys through the Netherlands, at b-europe.com.
- 10:00 Thomcat, his wife, and Martin will visit the Mauritshuis, a museum containing some famous paintings, such as by Vermeer and by Rembrandt.
- Some time between 10:30 - 11:30: RecentlyChanged + friend and CO2 will meet up in The Hague and do whatever to spend the time (visit the city center, probably).
- 11:00 - 11:30 The Mauritshuis group leaves the museum and joins up with the others.
- Everyone takes the tram to the Museon, a science & culture museum which currently houses a dinosaur exhibit which CO2 helped design.
- Next we'll visit the nearby Madurodam, a miniature city. It has scale models of the most famous Dutch buildings.
- We'll visit the beach (best to take the tram).
- We'll take the tram back to the city center, and depending on the time we might do some more sightseeing (e.g. houses of parliament, royal palace) or get something to eat.
If you don't have a national "OV-chipkaart" it's best to get a day ticket for the tram. It's €6.50 and can be bought at the HTM shop at Den Haag CS and on certain tram lines (but not on all lines! To be safe, get it at the shop!).
The prices of the museums/attraction are as follows. A ticket to the Mauritshuis is €14 , the Museon is €11.50 , and Madurodam is €15.50 (but Madurodam has a 4 tickets for the price of 3 offer). Of course, it's up to you to decide which museums you want to visit if you feel this is too expensive, but it might be handy to simply join the non-Mauritshuis group. We can always discuss other alternatives on the spot. CO2 knows the city quite well.
- Additional note: Thom and his wife have each purchased a "Holland Pass" which comes with a discount card - this should give us a discount in purchasing additional tickets to Museon, Madurodam (not sure if this is in addition to 4 for 3), etc. --Thomcat (talk) 11:48, 20 June 2015 (EDT)
If you want to join, add your nickname to the list and send CO2 a message on IRC (please excuse his bad connection, it'll hopefully be fixed soon).