I like the playing cards as markers idea. But you should list on your user page which cards were left as markers and where. I feel like there is an opportunity to play some sort of card game with that... Two people doing the same thing, treating every five cards like a hand, playing some variant of poker...
Also, you're practically the closest active geohasher to my area, so we're like almost-neighbors! Hi, Neighbor.
-MayorOfBoxTown 09:45, 19 March 2012 (EDT)
- I actually was doing that on my page, it just wasn't terribly obvious at first. The 5 right now just links to the one Gainesville hash, but it's hard to see that the 5 is actually a link; plus it needs someone to actually click on it. That'll change in the coming days, if not today.
- Really? I'm the closest to Memphis? Hey there, neighbor! Here's hoping there's less farming private property in the future, eh?
- DrCanadianNinja 18:42, 19 March 2012 (EDT)
- Make sure the link points to geohashing.org. I like the idea. :) -- relet 20:20, 19 March 2012 (EDT)
- Yeah, I wrote that at the hash and didn't realize my mistake until about ten hours later. Next time! -- DrCanadianNinja 13:01, 20 March 2012 (EDT)
I see the link now. An easy change would be to just make the links bold or underlined.
Yeah, okay, I guess there's some folks in Atlanta? I'll admit, I didn't really look that hard before saying that :/ Whatever, we're still neighbors. And yes, far too much private property, much of which is of the "kinda (really) sketchy" variety...
-MayorOfBoxTown 09:13, 20 March 2012 (EDT)
- Well, part of it is that I always mistake Tennessee and Kentucky in my head, so I was thinking a little too far out. Neighbors are still neighbors! -- DrCanadianNinja 13:01, 20 March 2012 (EDT)
- TN and KY are pretty much the same, anyway. You can hear the banjos on either side of the state line... -MayorOfBoxTown 15:21, 20 March 2012 (EDT)
Hola! I live in Somerville, MA but have family in Gainesville, so I'll probably poke you if I'm in the area (holidays) and there's a plausible hashpoint. :-) -- Phyzome 17:42, 21 March 2012 (EDT)
- Depends on the holiday, unfortunately - Christmas and Thanksgiving, for instance, I might be in Tampa, if not Canada. Still, it'd be interesting to try! -- DrCanadianNinja 14:18, 24 March 2012 (EDT)
 Happy birthday!
Hey, I'm going to be in the Jacksonville area in June or early July, let's try to get a meetup together. I'll write back when I get a better idea of my itinerary. -- Jevanyn
- Thanks! I saw your note on the Jacksonville graticule page, but wasn't sure anything happened outside of that. Sounds good to me! - DrCanadianNinja
 Geohash poker
I was thinking about your suggestion for poker, and realized it would be a lot easier to play it as a side game, the way league bowlers do.
In "Bowlers' Poker", everybody antes up and starts with one card. For each strike, you get to take another card. Best poker hand at the end of each game wins the pot. (There's a version where you get one for a spare and two for a strike, depending on how good/bad the bowlers are :-) )
Geohash poker can work the same way:
- Everyone who's "in" starts with one or two cards.
- Anyone who reaches a geohash during the hand (let's say two weeks) gets an additional card.
- Maybe additional round(s) of betting every third day or so, if people are active.
- To keep an element of Hold 'em, you can add a flop of common cards at the end of the two weeks.
- --Jevanyn 13:09, 16 May 2012 (EDT)
- Now that's a much better way of handling it! I guess the only other question at this point is really, what do you bet in said rounds? - DrCanadianNinja 17:08, 16 May 2012 (EDT)
 Virgin in the surf
Congrats on making it in the water (pun intended). Those pesky 99% water are tough to get, Per S and I have managed 2, Utö and Kapellskär, Sweden. Cheers -- Cjk 16:21, 21 May 2012 (EDT)
- I do love puns, so thanks! Everything just fell into place last week, I'm just glad I was able to take advantage. Here's hoping for more tiny graticule deflowering! -- DrCanadianNinja 20:17, 21 May 2012 (EDT)
 Memorable Quotes
IDK where to post this, but I submitted your quote
"Said party was helpful and pointed out my ball hadn't gotten too deep in the trees. I thanked them, picked it up, and continued into the trees. The following exchange took place: "Wait, where are you going?" "Oh, I actually meant to hit it further into the trees, so I'm just taking it there." "Why?" "The internet demands this of me." from 2012-09-03 31 -81 to the quotes page.
It fully captures the spirit of geohashing, in my opinion.
Chandru, 0:08, 4 September 2012 (EDT)
- Well, I'm not one to complain! Flattered that you think it's worthy for all to see. -- DrCanadianNinja 22:22, 4 September 2012 (EDT)
 Daytona Beach graticule, September 5
Hey, today's geohash in the next graticule south is close to the highway, I think it's reachable. Can you make the trip down there tonight? I'll try to talk my coworker into driving down, I think it's 30 or 40 miles for us. Send me an email at my screen name at gmail.com, I don't have access to a browser much this week. -- Jevanyn 15:56, 5 September 2012 (EDT)