Hi, I'm zb.
I live in Munich. I like riding my bike. If I have enough time, up to about 100 km are a nice distance during one day. I am
sometimesoften short on spare time, though, because I have a job and too many other hobbies. Most of my friends say I am fun to be with, but I am also a total nerd. I design analog electronic circuits for robots. I go to concerts a lot, play music and do stuff at a small radio station. I spend a lot of time looking at the sky. It is surprising I had no bad accident yet while riding my bike and checking out clouds or airplanes at the same time. I like trains and I am an aviation dork, but not to the degree that would require me to wish for even more concrete NE of Munich. One of the coolest things about Munich is the perfect quality of the tap water.
This text by Jim Williams explains in a really good way why you see strange things in the background of my profile picture.
If I find out about a nice location in my area, I will try to write some lines about it in advance, on this page: Munich
Upcoming Geohashes I'm Trying to Visit
- ... will sometimes be mentioned here as soon as i find out about them.
Past Geohashes I Have Visited
- 2014-11-21 48 11 Kultfabrik München, inside the Tonhalle. Didn't get inside but it wasn't much of an effort.
- 2014-10-12 48 11 München-Riem, close to a building from the time when the airport was still here. Met GeorgDerReisende and OtherJack.
I guess there are still some geohashes I tried but haven't documented yet.
- 2012-06-29 48 11 Right on the shore of the Isar, just W of Ismaning. Went by bike on a hot summer evening, got there at sunset.
- 2011-08-14 48 10 Augsburg-Haunstetten, on the corner of a field.
- 2011-04-26 48 11 Close to Neuherberg, just N of München, on the runway of a model plane club.
- 2011-03-29 48 11 In a forest near Berghofen (Moosach/Falkenberg/Fürmoosen), successfully reached in the late afternoon.
- 2011-03-25 48 11 In a forest near Hochdorf (Althegnenberg/Mering), successfully reached around sunset time.
- 2011-02-27 48 13 In a forest near Regen and Weißenstein; met dawidi, Tanya and her family, Thomcat and dragged along Mar.
- 2010-11-02 48 11 An easy one in München-Bogenhausen.
- 2010-11-01 48 11 Residential street in Dachau.
- 2010-10-25 48 12 International meetup in Köfering.
- 2010-10-21 48 11 Ebersberger Forst, close to St2080, near Schwaberwegen. Failed; time to finally get a GPS receiver.
- 2010-09-12 48 11 On a hill near Amperpettenbach. 78 km by bike.
- 2010-08-28 48 11 In the middle of a residential street in München-Pasing.
- 2010-07-01 48 11 Less than 1 km from home. I had stuff to do the entire day, so I dropped by really quick in the early morning, before the stuff had a chance to hit the fan.
- 2010-05-16 47 11 Aying. 59 km by bike.
- 2010-05-15 48 11 Unterhaching, next to the Autobahn. Just over 20 km by bike.
- 2010-04-20 48 10 ... No Trespassing in Augsburg-Lechhausen.
- 2010-04-15 48 10 Hopefully no rain tomorrow, so I might go for the walk (3 km) from Mering. Not sure yet if very early or in the late afternoon.
- 2010-04-13 48 10 No trespassing on the sports facilities of the Rudolf-Diesel-Gymnasium (high school) in Augsburg-Hochzoll.
- 2010-04-07 48 11 On a field between Grunertshofen and Adelshofen, approx. 5 km South of the train station in Haspelmoor. A nice long walk on a beautiful late afternoon/evening.
- 2010-04-06 48 11 Approx. 1 km E of Mammendorf, close to a transformer station for the railway line from München to Augsburg. I went around 4 pm and enjoyed the beautiful weather while walking ca. 5 km.
- 2010-04-05 47 11 South of Tutzing, very close to the railroad tracks from Tutzing to Kochel. Went by bike (108 km).
- 2010-03-21 48 11 A few hundred meters from S-Bahn-Station Furth (S3) near a roundabout in front of Sportschule Oberhaching, just South of München. Went with Mar and met DerFlob, Johanna, The T-Man.
- 2010-03-09 48 11 South of Ampermoching. Train to Hebertshausen and a nice walk along the Amper. Came close, but failed because the location was in a private garden, right next to a house.
- 2010-02-21 48 11, S of Mammendorf, near Egg. Kind of close to where 2009-04-03 48 11 and 2009-04-24 48 11 were. Sunrise!
- 2010-01-03 47 10, 5 km South of Kaufbeuren, next to highway B12. I earned a drag-along achievement and enjoyed white winter picture postcard views the entire day.
- 2009-12-30 47 11 I went by bike to a forest approx. 250 m NW of the edge of the little lake Aufhofener Weiher next to the village of Aufhofen. No GPS, but the landmarks provided sufficient information to get me close enough to the actual location. First expedition to the Innsbruck graticule.
- 2009-12-26 48 11 This one was right next to the little hill that overlooks runway 8R/26L of MUC airport. Plane-spotters' paradise, and thus well worth an expedition. Success! Met Omega.
- 2009-11-06 48 11 Inside the Maisach military airport. I succeeded in failing to get to the actual spot and remained outside the airport fence for the sake of safety.
- 2009-08-25 48 11 Another lazy detour after work. No trespassing on the grounds of a school near Königsplatz, München.
- 2009-06-08 48 10 Just a quick detour after work for this almost honorable mention of the Cubicle geohash achievement. My cubicle/lab is just over 2 km SE of the location. Augsburg deserves more attention from geohashers anyway.
- 2009-06-07 47 10 In the middle of the Eibsee lake, just below the Zugspitze. My first geohash in another graticule than my home graticule of München. There were 9 (in words: nine) of us. Met Danatar, Srs0, Thepiguy, dawidi, Hans, Tomcat, Ekorren and Baerenfell.
- 2009-04-24 48 11 - Very similar to 2009-04-03 48 11, which I enjoyed a lot. Reached the coordinates around 7:00p
- 2009-04-07 48 11 - Fail. Lazy Drive-By-Geohash in Gröbo. Fail is what you get for Lazy.
- 2009-04-03 48 11 - Egg, South of Mammendorf. Hike in beautiful weather and awesome evening light. Success.
- 2009-03-28 48 11 - Hasenbergl! Late Afternoon. Failed Saturday meetup, but nice bike ride in the rain, anyway.
- 2008-05-30 Munich, Germany - Attempted but missed by about 100 m. Got seriously drenched on my bike in rain and when walking through a thick forest with very wet leaves while trying to find the spot. (Isarauen close to Hallbergmoos).
- 2008-05-29 Munich, Germany - Successfully reached by bike (Zengermoos close to 380 kV power line).
- 2008-05-27 Munich, Germany - Successfully reached by bike (Backyard in Au).
On The Internets
- Link to Ekorren's fantastic Tiny Hash Inquiry Tool for downtown Berg am Laim in München
- Link to Ekorren's fantastic Tiny Hash Inquiry Tool for the Puget Sound area
- Link to Heavens Above for downtown Berg am Laim in München; Sun and Moon data
- Weather forecast for Bavaria from Bayerischer Rundfunk
- Weather radar for the München area
- Bike map (Landkreis München) ; pdf: 
- Bike map (Nordallianz) 
- Bike map (Stadt München) ; 
- GPSViewer A GPS add-on for my cell phone which would, by default, just map its GPS data to street addresses and POIs for normal people and not tell me the actual numbers.
- A GPS logger that works well, too, but doesn't show time and altitude.
Geohashers I've Met
(Only firsts are listed.)
- 2009-06-07 47 10 (Eibsee Expedition)
- 2009-12-26 48 11 (Plane Spotting at München Airport)