Some sort of caged geek from the Exeter graticule.
At the risk of getting philosophical, half of what we do is necessary and half arbitrary. There's nothing more arbitrary than plucking locations out of the ether, and for all the risk of a sucky destination, there's the relief of not grinding the same old paths again and again. There's got to be some unknown to make it adventure!
(there's also some weird algorithmic dom/sub thing going on that closely resembles Crossfit's Workout of the Day: "You shall suffer thusly!" "Yes, O Internet, and we thank you for it!")
It's been brought to my attention that the whole of the southwest is virginal, and this cannot stand. Mission: Turn everything from Bristol down green. Then do it at sea! Yarr!
Dunwich Dynamo Hashpoints
- Rickmansworth: http://irc.peeron.com/xkcd/map/map.html?date=2010-07-25&lat=52&long=0&zoom=9
- Billericay: http://irc.peeron.com/xkcd/map/map.html?date=2010-07-24&lat=51&long=0&zoom=9
- Downham Market: http://irc.peeron.com/xkcd/map/map.html?date=2010-07-24&lat=52&long=0&zoom=9
- Norfolk Broads: http://irc.peeron.com/xkcd/map/map.html?date=2010-07-24&lat=52&long=1&zoom=9
- (off Canvey Island)
- Thetford: http://irc.peeron.com/xkcd/map/map.html?date=2010-07-25&lat=52&long=0&zoom=9
- Herringfleet: http://irc.peeron.com/xkcd/map/map.html?date=2010-07-25&lat=52&long=1&zoom=9
2010-06-12 50 -4 - Merry cycling down the lanes of Devon, 45 miles round trip with drag-alongs, geese, bells and escaped sheep.
2010-06-04 50 -3 - Ha! Got it! Water hash off the Devon coast.
2010-05-01 50 -3 - Buy boat (more Sevylor Pointer goodness), float vest and paddle. Set out with a hash that looks doable... then get out into ye open sea and be Menaced By Manatees (or just realise that it was well over a mile - and get a good old dose of common sense as an offshore breeze gets up). Tail duly turned but that's not going to spoil the fun, because there's nothing so fine as simply messing around in boats.
Mmm, lovely tasty gear.
Camera: Some random Canon point'n'shoot flashed with CHDK, which I'll occasionally use for kite aerial photography too. Add an Aquapac waterproof housing for water hashes. Is it too much to hope for KAPhash? You never know...
Bikes: Manyfold. So far I've only hashed on my road bike, a Lemond Etape called Meatloaf. Anyone want to buy a penny farthing?
Kayak: Another Sevylor Pointer! This is all your fault, internet! Simmering desire to have a kayak ("it's the bike of the sea!") with a tiny flat and similar-scale budget meant that I'd never drowned in a clumsy Instructable or gone shopping... but hey, what's this all over the Vancouver graticule? And the local kayak shop had one on display. Roll vs Willpower or go shopping.