Julianaxiodite - n: A Wannabe Hasher
I habitually click the Geohash link on my bookmark toolbar every single day to see where that day's hash is.
I never go, and I have my reasons:
- I am an office worker with a wife and 4 small kids who expect me to be home in the evenings
- My wife has not caught the spirit of Geo-hashing and does not appreciate the allure.
- As a consequence, extra outings and away time chasing after elusive randomly-generated GPS coordinates doesn't seem like a good use of time.
- I love my wife more than geohashing, so I make sacrifices.She makes sacrifices, too, and much more consequential.
- I bought a $30 one using some birthday money in 2012, but, to my dismay, it didn't seem to work... at all. It might be worth another shot.
- I was gifted an iPod touch for Christmas in 2012, which I thought would lead me to greater success in geohashing, until I learned about its GPS deficiency.
So why do I compulsively check the daily hashpoint?
- Perhaps for the spirit of adventure it breathes into a life too full of monotony and tedium.
- Perhaps because it makes for a nice twenty minutes of distraction at work.
- Perhaps because some days, some times, it actually feels achievable even in spite of my obstacles.
I hope to one day be a better equipped and more active hasher, but that day seems like it is still a long way off.