Hi, my name is Greg, I'm a graduate of New Jersey Institute of Technology, with a BS in computer science. I have a wife, an 8-yr-old son, and a baby daughter, one or more of whom will likely be joining me when I go geohashing. Our former housemate "Kyukket" is also interested, and has rescued me from a vehicular breakdown during a geohash on one occasion.
I live in the North Jersey graticule, and I'm aiming for a Regional geohash for New Jersey, the Minesweeper achievement, as well as meeting as many geohashers from Wilmington, NC, Boston, or anywhere else that geohashing has a following.
I like bridge, cycling, baseball, and photography. My wife is into scrapbooking, crafting, and likes photography as well. My son likes knock-knock jokes and ... trying to escape HEY GET BACK HERE! :-D. He's in Cub Scouts now, so there may be other kinds of merit badges available to him. I've also brought my daughter to a geohash or two, but she's a bit young to appreciate it.
I can bring Fluxx, Wizard, Magic: the Gathering, a regular deck of cards or the like to any meetups.
 Future plans
- Send notifications via Twitter (@jevanyn #geohashNJ) of relatively reachable geohashes, with occasional shoutouts to local schools.
- I may be starting a new job with a fair amount of travel, so I could end up anywhere in the US :-)
- Future trips to Wilmington, NC.
- I'm planning a trip up to Boston, with a couple of stops along the way, hopefully I'll get to meet locals there as well!
Total Expeditions: 86.
Geohashes reached: 62 in 9 graticules, on 58 expeditions.
- 51 in Newark, NJ
- 2 each in Philly, Allentown, Newtown, NY
- 1 each in Wilmington, NC, Atlantic City, Danbury, CT, Baltimore, MD, NYC
Longest streak: 15 successes
2013-09-28 40 -74: The Geohash at the End of the Sidewalk,
by with apologies to Shel Silversteen
2013-03-29 40 -74: A quickie geohash to Hillsborough, but again no pictures.
2013-02-12 40 -74: Photos from the train of a geohash in Newark. Line-of-sight unconfirmed.
2013-01-29 40 -74: First geohash of 2013, in South Bound Brook.
2012-12-08 40 -74: A sports complex in Edison, on the way back from my nephew's birthday party.
2012-11-30 40 -74: In Capitalist New Jersey, geohash finds you!
2012-10-15 40 -74: More of a country drive than an organized expedition.
2012-08-16 40 -74: Dragged MikeO along to UCC.
2012-08-04 40 -74: Dragged Grace along to the Street that Wasn't There.
2012-07-22 40 -74: Hard to even call this a success, but we did accomplish a Speed Racer in Branchburg.
2012-07-13 40 -74: Another stop in Readington, where, not surprisingly, it was also hot.
2012-07-08 40 -74: A quick visit to Atlantic Highlands on a hot, hot day.
2012-07-06 40 -74: Dotted lines on Google Maps are not "proposed roads".
2012-04-07 34 -77: We stopped at Krispy Kreme first, because we have priorities, man.
2012-01-21 40 -74: In Hillsborough, where my GPS shadow ran away.
- 2012-01-17 40 -74: Retrohash/Deja Vu on I-78.
2011-12-09 40 -74: A model geohash, at a model home in Livingston.
- 2011-12-05 40 -74: Norz Hill Farm, which I visited earlier in the year.
2011-10-12 40 -74: Geohash within one mile of work, on the one day this month I have the car. WIN!!
2011-10-04 40 -74: Dragged Kyukket to Hillside after he picked me up at work.
2011-09-30 40 -74: A brief side trip to Branchburg, made briefer by the arrival of the residents!
2011-09-14 40 -74: Stopped in Warren on the way home from the new job.
- To answer my own question, yes, Cape May is deflowered because an expedition was made. However, no successful geohash expedition has been performed.
2011-09-01 40 -74: A slight detour on the way to vacation.
2011-08-22 41 -75: Still looking for the Northwest Passage.
2011-07-04 40 -74: A grassy field next to Belle Mead Co-op.
2011-06-17 40 -74: The Juggernaut/Tron Conjunction.
2011-05-21 40 -74: Geohashing day.
2011-05-06 40 -74: It was Game Night, so I didn't get home until 10:45PM.
2011-04-27 40 -74: I'm on a
2011-03-06 41 -75: First (second?) attempt in Worthington State Park/Scranton graticule, no joy.
2011-01-01 40 -74: On the way to a wedding in PA.
2010-10-07 40 -74: A bicycle geohash thwarted by numerous obstacles.
2010-09-17 39 -74: A leisurely geohash in the Atlantic City graticule.
2010-08-27 40 -74: Geohash is a few feet from the Turnpike, and I have to go south anyway.
2010-08-17 40 -74: Ten-mile bike ride from work to the geohash in Edison, piece of cake (mmm, cake...)
2010-06-26 40 -74: A few feet off an access road in Port Reading. Getting there: easy; getting back, retarded!
2010-06-03 40 -74: My dad went, but not until four days later.
- 2010-05-24 40 -74: The geohash was in the middle of ... shit, wait, what? It wasn't me?
2010-05-21 40 -74: Behind (the former) Jack Baker's Lobster Shanty, on NJ-33.
2010-05-05 40 -74: Go-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-ol!!!
2010-03-22 40 -74: Geo-passing-through.
2010-03-20 40 -74: Geohashing and a walk in the park.
- 2010-03-08 40 -74: The geohash lands about 1/4 mile from a stop we made on the way to a Super Bowl party.
2010-03-02 40 -74: Geohashing party of sorts at Friendly's in the Princeton area.
2010-02-22 40 -74: In Trenton. In a park. In the snow. In the dark.
2010-02-13 40 -74: Plenty of people at Woodbridge Mall, just no other geohashers :-(.
2010-02-01 40 -74: Only two towns away from home.
2010-01-23 40 -74: Reached the geohash in a park in Secaucus.
2010-01-05 40 -74: First geohash expedition of 2010 and first with GPS, not successful.
2009-12-24 40 -74: Easy-to-reach geohash in Watchung Reservation.
2009-12-15 40 -74: Multiple private roads didn't look private on Google Maps.
- 2009-12-01 39 -74: Passed up an easy geohash in the AC graticule because of a previous engagement.
2009-11-27 39 -75: Made it, with video of Evan trying to juggle.
2009-10-15 40 -74: A very cold, very wet geohash.
2009-10-12 41 -73: An XKCD-100 / Minesweeper win.
2009-10-10 40 -74: I had an hour to kill between two social events, but didn't want to get stuck in a swamp.
- 2009-10-04: Made plans for a hike in Worthington Park, in the Allentown, Pennsylvania graticule, but was too sick to go.
2009-09-19 40 -74: I shanghai'd a friend for Talk like a Pirate day, but the geohash was in a backyard, not behind an apartment building like it looked on the map.
2009-08-20 40 -74: Another bicycle geohash, but I had a date and didn't have time to get there.
2009-08-18 40 -74: A less rainy bicycle geohash.
2009-06-02 40 -74: Geohash 5 miles from home, but behind a line of houses.
2009-05-11 40 -74: Geohash 7 miles from work, but roads unsafe for bicycling in that direction. Chickened out.
2009-04-26 40 -74: I'm on the wrong side of the tracks in White House Station.
2009-03-04 40 -74: No GPS! No map! No directions! No camera?! ... AAAA!
2009-02-28 40 -74: Jevanyn the buccaneer leads pirate raids up and down the Turnpike!
2009-02-19 40 -74: The geohash was only a couple of towns over, but still unreachable.
2009-01-17 40 -74: A planned geohash, postponed from the 10th due to snow, was unreachable on the 17th.
2008-12-13 41 -74 and 2008-12-14 41 -74: In a rare instance of the Saturday and Sunday geohashes being within 10 miles of each other, I venture north of the 41st parallel for a midnight multihash, and got questioned by police.
2008-12-06 40 -74: Got within 100 yards or so of the geohash, but I was on my way to a surprise birthday party and was already late.
- After further review, I was not within 100 yards. No big deal, I didn't have photos anyway.
2008-10-18 40 -75: Touchdown Philadelphia!
2008-09-05 39 -74: Got to Vineland around 11PM, and got caught in the rain.
2008-08-23 39 -74: Took a ride in my uncle's boat. Then I checked the geohash, which was just off the coast near where we had ridden by. Whoops.
- The September 2nd Cape May geohash also lay on or near the boat route. For how little land is in this graticule, this may be as close as anyone gets for a while.
2008-08-16 39 -74: The geohash is up a creek, and I'm passing through.
- I can only prove it by a) being able to describe the house (house number "Two Ten" in cursive fixtures on the house), and b) verifying that the Bound Brook Fire Dept. was having a fund raiser at a nearby intersection, proving I was there on Saturday.
2008-06-28 40 -74: Geohash in Westfield. Brought my wife and son, took pictures, wrote narrative.
- I had to give back my Land geohash ribbon, since I didn't get close enough to the actual hashpoint.
- 2008-06-12: The location for Newark was only three miles from where I work, which at the time was the closest Cubicle Geohash to date.
|This user earned the Walk geohash Achievement|
|This user earned the Public transport geohash achievement|
|Jevanyn earned the Home Front Geohash achievement|
|Jevanyn and company earned the Virgin Graticule Achievement|
|Jevanyn earned the Déjà Vu Geohash Achievement|
|Spindizzy and Jevanyn earned the A Tale of Two Hashes achievement|
| Jevanyn earned the Juggernaut achievement
|Jevanyn earned the Tron achievement|
|Jevanyn earned the 2011 Geohashing Day achievement|
| Jevanyn achieved level 6 of the Minesweeper Geohash achievement
|Jevanyn earned the Puppet Master Geohash achievement|
|Jevanyn earned the 2010 Geohashing Day achievement|
|Jevanyn earned the MNIMB Geohash Achievement|
| Jevanyn achieved level 5 of the Minesweeper Geohash achievement
|This user earned the Circus Geohash Achievement|
| Jevanyn achieved level 4 of the Minesweeper Geohash achievement
|Jevanyn earned the XKCD-100 Achievement|
| Jevanyn achieved level 3 of the Minesweeper Geohash achievement
|This user earned the Prize poultry Consolation Prize|
| This user earned the Reverse regional achievement
|This user earned the Bicycle geohash achievement|
|This user earned the Drowned Rat Geohash Achievement|
|Jevanyn earned the Speed racer achievement|
|Jevanyn earned the Buccaneer Geohash Achievement|
|Jevanyn has visited an Easy Geohash|
|Jevanyn earned the "Mother Nature's Bitch" Consolation Prize|
| Jevanyn earned the Consecutive geohash achievement
|Jevanyn earned the Midnight Geohash achievement|
|Jevanyn earned the Frozen Geohash Achievement|
| Jevanyn achieved level 2 of the Minesweeper Geohash achievement
|Jevanyn earned the Virgin Graticule Achievement|
|Jevanyn earned the Police Geohash Achievement|
|Jevanyn earned the Midnight Geohash achievement|
|Jevanyn earned the Curse of Unawareness Consolation Prize|
|Jevanyn earned the My kingdom for a boat consolation prize|
|This user earned the Land geohash achievement|
|This user earned the Meet-up achievement|
|This user earned the No Batteries Geohash Achievement|
|This user earned the Drag-along achievement|
|This user earned the No trespassing consolation prize|
 Achievements I'm shooting for
- Regional Geohash, graticules in NJ . . . all graticules attempted, 7 reached.
- Regional Geohash, counties in NJ: . . . 13 of 21 counties reached.
- Minesweeper achievement . . . 6 of 8 centered on Newark.
- Not realistic unless I try to rent or hijack a boat near Mantoloking to get (39,-73).
- But a hurricane is a cyclonic storm, doesn't that count for the other kind of twister?
- See the above for Retro/Water Geohash
- Wedding Anniversary Geohash . . . The location is less than 5 miles from my cousin's house in Dayton, so we may be able to drag-along a number of wedding guests. Formal Attire Geohash is also possible.
- XKCD-100 . . . 2009-10-12 41 -73: Done
 Silly ideas for achievements
Disclaimer: some of these are obviously illegal, I take no responsibility for your actions.
- Close but No Cigar / Close Enough for Government Work consolation: You get within about 100m and decide you're "close enough" (I see a lot of these on weekday meetup pages.)
- No "There" There consolation: Your GPS can't decide if you've found the hashpoint or not
- Midnight Madness Multihash: special multihash for going to a geohash for Friday (or Saturday), then at midnight travelling to the Saturday/Sunday geohash as quickly as possible.
- Hash-and-grab: commit an act of burglary
- Green eggs and hash: prepare a meal, preferably from something caught on-site
- H*A*S*H: perform a medical procedure at a meetup, for example, first aid on a fellow geohasher
- Hash-and-slash: LARPing at a geohash
- Geohashish: getting stoned at a geohash (If combined with a Hash Collision, it is known as a GeoStash. --Arlo)
- Hash Browns: Go dressed as a Cleveland Brown
- 100 Yard/Meter Hash: stage a footrace at the geohash
- Pokemon Geohash: capture a small animal near the geohash, and train it to attack CCG players.
- Mad Money geohash: placing a stock trade, especially for a Dow Component company, while at a geohash. (Before 4PM EST, when the stock exchange usually closes)
- Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Money geohash: ... then calculating the new geohash point, going there, and doing it again.
- Geokegging: start a party at the geohash.
 Contributed pages
- Portland, Arlington, Rochester, and Wilmington disambiguation pages
- Panolik, Krasnoyarsk Krai, Russia, site of Tunguska Event
- San Juan, Puerto Rico: category and page
- A few North Carolina and South Carolina pages
- Most active graticules: initial implementation July 21 2008
- Cape May-Lewes Ferry
- Several achievement and consolation prize ribbons and icons
- The tabular path for the Mississippi River
- Johannesburg, South Africa split-city map
- Graticules along Suez Canal
- South Korea graticule pages
 Other stuff I'm working on
Cleaning up red links / missing grat pages under Category:Alaska.
Cleaning up duplicate and orphaned pages under Category:Mexico
- And probably renaming "México" to "Estado de México".
Category:Jevanyn/Needs pictures: I need to upload photos from a few past geohashes.
Geohashing Fluxx: The "Goals" are based on geohash types, e.g., Air Geohash, while "Keepers" are things you might bring with you, e.g., Duct Tape. work in progress
Retrohash Racing: A random date in the past is chosen, and geohashers race to reach that date's geohash.
- This is a bad idea; racing is considered too dangerous, esp with private property or un-reconnoitered terrain involved.
2009-2010 Winter Tournament: Single-elimination tournament for geohashingest graticule.
- User:Jevanyn/Bracketology: A related page
User:Jevanyn/New Jersey: A regional geohashing achievement to reach a geohash in every graticule in New Jersey.
User:Jevanyn/Counties of New Jersey: A regional geohashing achievement to reach a geohash in every county of New Jersey.