|Fresno||Lone Pine||Panamint Springs|
|Santa Barbara||Los Angeles||San Bernardino|
The Tehachapi graticule is at latitude 35, longitude -118. This area encompasses Tehachapi and Lake Isabella. Most of the rest of the area of this graticule is remote and mountainous, and contains substantial areas of wilderness (i.e. no motorized vehicles permitted). This makes geohashing this area more challenging than most areas.
Today's Location: [Tehachapi]
Proposed permanent alternate location
Since so much of the graticule is generally inaccessible, Saturday meetups for inaccessible locations should be held at another location TBD in Tehachapi, CA.
rocketgeek - Located in Tehachapi
Zed33 - sometimes located in Tehachapi
CaptNemo - Located in Bakersfield
- 2008-06-26 -- Rocketgeek couldn't get permission to make it to the point.
- 2013-11-02 -- captnemo42 Locked gate prevented access
- 2013-12-25 -- Bravissimo594 and Boppy5 Success! A point in the Mojave desert west of California City.
- 2008-06-21 -- Location is on the 7000' contour line approximately 700 vertical feet and one mile from SR 107. It is much closer (about 500') to an unnamed dirt road along Horse Meadow Creek that comes off of Forest Route 22S03 (i.e. a logging road), but it's still a 400' vertical hike up from there, and very steep. In addition, judging by the satellite images and reaching even that point would likely require at least two capable 4x4s and some tricky driving.
- 2008-06-22 -- This one manages to be even less accessible than yesterday's. It's located in mountainous terrain north-east of Lake Isabella. It appears to be a on a high plateau around the 7200 ft contour line. Nearest road appears to be Fay Ranch Rd, which ends just above 4600 ft below and approximately one mile away.
- 2008-06-23 -- As Tehachapi graticule locations go, this one is remarkably accessible. It is located approximately five miles south of Weldon, CA, generally ESE of Lake Isabella. It appears to be just under a mile up Cane Canyon, off of S Kelso Valley Rd. Elevation change is a moderate 300 feet up. Satellite photos indicate open desert terrain with limited gullies and washes along the path. In addition, satellite imagery implies the existence of a jeep trail that passes within 100 yrds of the hash point. No structures are visible along the routes to the hash point or in the vicinity of it; armed rednecks should not be an issue. -- Rocketgeek
- 2008-06-24 -- This one looks eminently reachable... until you have a look at the topo and find that it's on a damn cliff. Maybe there should be a mountain climbing achievement. -- Rocketgeek
- 2008-06-25 -- This one looks quite accessible -- less than 100 ft off a back-country dirt road that actually exists. However, it's a bit too far for me to go and explore on a school night. It appears that there is a gate across the dirt road approximately where it leaves Woody Granite Road, about 3/4 of a mile from the hash. Hiking is indicated. No structures are present nearby, which should cut down on the prevalence of shotguns. -- Rocketgeek
- 2013-11-02 -- This one looks accessible -- 300 ft off a back-country dirt road -- captnemo42- update there was a locked gate about 1/8th mile from the location.
|Boppy5 and Bravissimo594 earned the Virgin Graticule Achievement|