Talk:Southampton, United Kingdom/Archive 1
 Update for weekend of 19th July 2008:
Both days are mid-Solent.
Going north we find:
Both in fields near Salisbury. Saturday's looks a bit close to a farmhouse.
--Dave 14:07, 18 July 2008 (UTC)
 Saturday 6/9/08
Looks very possible, for the first time in ages. The spot itself is certainly physically accessible from the street; to me, the building it's associated with looks like a pub (see the umbrellas in the garden). Geohash landing actually on a pub - couldn't really be more convenient. There's a good chance I'll be there, especially if anyone else makes their plans known here. --Pete
 May/June 2008 meets
When I want to go to a meet, I probably shan't sign up here or check that anyone else is going. The mystery about how many people are going to be there is part of the fun, does noone agree? 18.104.22.168 18:19, 21 May 2008 (UTC)
- Definitely a purist :-)
- Some people feel the other way - I'd be pretty disappointed to travel up to 50 miles only to stand in an empty field. If just 3 people sign the wiki page, then there might be 10 or more people that didn't sign the page, making it a good event Hello1024 18:52, 21 May 2008 (UTC)
I'm more concerned about the amount of "our" area that is sea - it seems like it's going to be rare for the location to be on land. 22.214.171.124 18:39, 21 May 2008 (UTC)
- Yep - cross your fingers for Saturday! Hello1024 18:52, 21 May 2008 (UTC)
- PS. We can always go to the oxford graticule if our meetup point is in the sea! Hello1024 19:33, 21 May 2008 (UTC)
- Provided this keeps going long enough (and why shouldn't it) I think at least one sea meetup needs to happen one day. We live on the coast, we ought to be able to beg, borrow or hire boats, right? 126.96.36.199 23:01, 21 May 2008 (UTC)
It's good to see some fellow xkcd'ers around in this area!!
guys just a heads up that i'm TOTALLY interested in a meet with cool people that like XKCD but, alas, this weekend my sister is coming down and i've gotta stay in soton :( My apologies, maybe next time yes? :) SinJax
- no worries - remember since so much of our area is on the sea there'll probably only be a meetup one in 3 weeks anyway - remember to "watchlist" the main page so you can find out a week you can come! Hello1024 19:33, 21 May 2008 (UTC)
Would love to come have a meetup one day but the cost of getting off/on the IOW these days is ridiculous. Will have to find a Saturday when it hits land and I'm in civilisation, suppose. Coincidently, is everyone here from Southampton Uni? Rvsmortimer 21:51, 10 June 2008 (UTC)
 We've got a position for saturday!
BUT... it looks like it's in the water... :(
is anyone going to an alternate location instead? We could use sundays location just north east of southampton instead, or give it a miss this week. 188.8.131.52 14:15, 23 May 2008 (UTC)
People are going north if the location is wet. AX
Dave: This week's Saturday location is water. The alternate (north one graticule) location is certainly private property. As per the main page "Disclaimer: When any coordinates generated by the Geohashing algorithm fall within a dangerous area, are inaccessible, or would require illegal trespass, DO NOT attempt to reach them." I suggest we bail on this and see how things go in the future. Sunday's is also private land. Monday is just off the Needles on the IoW if anyone wants their pirate badge.
- Although it is on private land the farm house looks to be very close by, and from experience if you ask i am sure the farmer would grant access (and if the field is growing crop you can use the tram lines). If however everyone does bail due to it being on private land i fear there will never be many meets as most of the Swindon/Oxford graticule is agricultural. Sadly i cannot make this meet but i will come next week with Sinjax --Incanus 10:46, 24 May 2008 (UTC)
- Well, doesn't look like anyone is actually up for this one anyway. See how it goes, more favourable locations in the Southampton graticule may appear. Later in the summer a couple of us may be able to arrange a pirate outing. Dave
The location at  looks to be a field or paddock intimately associated with the building in its eastern corner, so I agree that it's "too private" to just turn up at. However, I don't think we should be scared off a typical agricultural field - as Incanus says, if we did that we'd never get anywhere unless the position happened to land right in Southampton High Street. Anywhere else is going to be residential property, industrial estates, etc that are less accessible than a field. It's unlikely that anyone would even notice a dozen people standing in their field one day, and if they did I'd be happy to explain that we're part of a strange club that goes to random locations, and we haven't caused any damage, and thanks, and we'll go now if that's what they'd like. I can't really see even the most unfavourable response to that extending beyond "grumpy". Separately, it might also be worth looking up the Right to Roam stuff that came in a year or two ago - maybe we're even allowed to visit random fields these days? 184.108.40.206 13:09, 25 May 2008 (UTC)
- If i remember correctly as long as you don't hop a fence and that there is no crop growing in the filed you are free to roam it. Also in this country trespass is only a civil offense, so even if you do hop a fence or go into a field with crop the most that will happen if you a caught is that you will be told to leave as long as you didnt cause any damage (by using tram lines) and move along.--Incanus 15:09, 25 May 2008 (UTC)
- "This new legal right - or right to roam - provided by The Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 (CRoW), applies only to mapped areas of uncultivated, open countryside namely mountain, moor, heath, down and registered common land." So no, you still have no right to go on private property. I'm all for getting permission where possible, but actually know your rights before claiming them! Annoyingly, Saturday's meet was a few hundred meters from Danesbury down, which would have made a good meet. Except very few people could make it. We'll get there eventually! --Dave 09:47, 27 May 2008 (UTC)
 Thursday 12/6/08
It's almost a shame that this location didn't come up as a Saturday meetup - it's near as dammit on Calshot nudist beach :-)
 Saturday 2009-07-18
Near Hambledon and Clanfield. Could be pleasant walk/ride/drive if the weather holds off. Who's up for it? Apologies if I've done this wrong, I'm a bit new to this. I added some text to the main page because it said to add names there. --macronencer 17:12, 17 July 2009 (UTC)
My apologies if I've offended you. But I'm curious as to your choice of words. What, exactly, did you feel was "inaccurate"? -- Benjw 21:03, 16 January 2009 (UTC)
We're active here, but suffer from being in a graticule that is mostly water. I think there were a few other points, but as there was a lot changed and most of it was rewording, I knee-jerked a bit and decided to undo all of it. I'll probably take a more detailed look and put some bits back when I have time. --d7415 21:16, 16 January 2009 (UTC)
Fair enough! Glad there's someone active after all, and I shall leave it well alone in future. Just that nothing seemed to have been changed since September, and the only active person I could find was you, and that was in a different graticule. Hope all goes well. -- Benjw 21:21, 16 January 2009 (UTC)