- 1 Archived Talk Topics
- 2 New Talks
- 2.1 2010-01-04_-37_145
- 2.2 In the lead
- 2.3 Failed Thai geohash
- 2.4 2010-01-13_-37_145
- 2.5 2010-01-15 -37 145
- 2.6 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th January 2010
- 2.7 Daft Geohashing
- 2.8 23rd and 24th January
- 2.9 Kew Geohash
- 2.10 Thai Hash
- 2.11 2010-02-01 -37 145
- 2.12 2010-02-06, 2010-02-07, 2010-02-08
- 2.13 2010-02-17 -37 144
- 2.14 2010-02-18 -37 145 - Keilor East - close to the THUNDERDOME
- 2.15 2010-03-03 Ultimate dream camping geohash
- 2.16 2010-03-04 - Brewery hash?
- 2.17 2010-03-08 -37 145
- 2.18 2010-03-11 -37 145 - 1.22km from my residence
- 2.19 2010-03-14 -38 145 - near the Red Hill Brewery again
- 2.20 2010-03-28 -37 145
- 2.21 Injured :(
- 2.22 2010-05-27 -37 144
- 2.23 You guys
- 2.24 Sunday, 8th of August 2010
- 2.25 2011-10-15
- 2.26 2011-11-08
- 2.27 2011-12-21
- 2.28 Geohash on the Yarra
- 2.29 | 2011-12-30 -38 145 Philip Island
- 2.30 Geohash 2012 03 18 -37 145
- 2.31 Geohash 2012 04 21 -37 145
- 2.32 Geohash 2012-06-16 -38 145
The East Melbourne hash for today is in the right-hand lane of the citybound side of Canterbury Road in the Kilsyth / Bayswater area - will definitely attempt it as it's about 20min from my house. There's a Safeway carpark about 100m from the hash site and in theory, traffic permitting, I can probably cross the actual hash point by foot then follow up by car (the aerial photo shows it on the median strip; the map shows it as being on the road).
I'm going to have a crack at it late afternoon, probably 5.30pmish, but don't have satnav at this stage so will have to go by dead reckoning on Google Maps and Melways.
Kozz 23:58, 3 January 2010 (UTC)
- I'm planning to do this one as well. I have to drop by home to get my GPS however, and I have other things to do after work, although I'm hoping they won't take too long. don't know when i'll be there though unfortunately. If I'm lucky, I can rig up my camera to film my GPS as i drive over the point. --mykaDragonBlue [- i have no sig -] 02:42, 4 January 2010 (UTC)
You should stick the Couch Potato Geohash Honourable Mention award on that one, and update the list of closest locations, you might be in the lead there.
Felix Dance 02:50, 5 January 2010 (UTC)
- 20 minutes in the car, not 20 minutes lat / long...Kozz 21:23, 8 February 2010 (UTC)
In the lead
Yes! We are now officially in the lead for 2010: http://dawidi.dyndns.org/geohashing/MostSuccessfulGraticules/ And we just pipped in for 15th in 2009 - keep up the good work!
Felix Dance 02:56, 5 January 2010 (UTC)
- Lost it :o( NWoodruff is hardcore geohash and always pushes Atlanta to the top - he even got the virgin Globalhash. Hopefully today I can claw one back and Melbourne will be on top till the US comes back online.
- Cheers NWoodRuff. Good luck with the weekend's hashes. Kozz 11:35, 15 January 2010 (UTC)
- You guys are tied for the lead again. --NWoodruff 12:54, 11 March 2010 (UTC)
Failed Thai geohash
On a reserve right on the edge of the Monash Freeway. I think this is on the Gardiner's Creek trail, actually, because I'm sure I've ridden past there a few times.
Obviously a really straightforward hash and one I'll try to get to today. I now have a handheld GPS as well as the satnav, so should be able to pinpoint the exact point in amongst the scrub. Kozz 00:27, 13 January 2010 (UTC)
- i may just have to wander down there as well.... --mykaDragonBlue [- i have no sig -] 01:20, 13 January 2010 (UTC)
- chk chk boom, 49 minutes round trip from home. It's not on the Gardiner's Creek Trail but on a little side area called Nettleton Park. Carpark off Gardiner Parade. G*ddamned GPS wouldn't pick up satellites for five minutes, requiring disassembly of a staple-bound diary in order to get the staple in order to press the reset button, but then post-reset it fired up fine and walked me right to the spot. Good luck! Kozz 03:11, 13 January 2010 (UTC)
Today's hash for East Melbourne is out towards the Dandenongs once again, actually not very far from Cantebury Park from the 4th Jan - will probably drive past the hashpoint as I have errands to run south of there this afternoon.
On the side of a road in suburban Ringwood, as mentioned above I should be out that way this afternoon so will make an effort.
Kozz 21:33, 14 January 2010 (UTC)
16th, 17th, 18th, 19th January 2010
16th - not unachievable but really, really inconvenient :o) It's right at the north-eastern corner of each graticulate - no doubt somewhere in the world this will be cause for great joy, but I don't think it's going to be Melbourne! Will not attempt.
17th - achievable and would make a great road trip as it goes through a lot of the country affected by bushfire last year, lest we forget. Ends up very close to Murrindindi. The hash point proper is quite a ways in on someone's actual land though, and the farmers out that way are likely to be quite suspicious of people trespassing. I have other stuff to do that day and thus will not attempt.
18th - achievable and in the Bunyip State Forest not far off a marked path - it's a long drive out though - and I'm working on Monday...so unless something changes, will not attempt.
19th - easily achievable (for me) and an ideal cycle geohash. The point is in the middle of a park at the corner of High Street Road and Eastlink. The Eastlink trail traces alongside Eastlink (surprise, surprise) and crosses High Street road about 30 or 40 metres from the hashpoint. I'm thinking about cycling there first thing in the morning when it gets light - but also aware that I would be cycling back in rush hour traffic along Canterbury Road, which is - as the French call it - 'Le Suicide'.
Let me know your plans, all.
Kozz 23:26, 15 January 2010 (UTC)
dammit... these hashes are basically my travels from last weekend... all 4 days this weekend are within convenient distance of somewhere I was last weekend >.< --mykaDragonBlue [- i have no sig -] 05:43, 16 January 2010 (UTC)
See this page for an explanation
Synopsis: Write stuff on your hand, objects, or something that can then be spliced into a Geohashing video to the tune of Daft Punk's 'Around the World'. I likes it; given Melbourne is *aherm* the 13th most successful graticule globally and far and away the most active in Australasia and the Southern Hemisphere, we are probably the best placed to generate content from down under. Thoughts? Kozz 10:09, 17 January 2010 (UTC)
Sounds cool, you've certainly made me swell with patriotic pride. You know just two more before the end of the month and we'll be ahead of Atlanta. They've never lost. Just a thought.
Felix Dance 11:28, 23 January 2010 (UTC)
- Didn't get there in the end :o( There's been an unending stream of hashes just out of reach which is a particular pain in the proverbial. Next month maybe...Kozz 04:24, 3 February 2010 (UTC)
In the middle of a building site (according to Google Maps and Street View) which is probably now a building, in Balwyn, Melbourne East linkage here.
Access off a service lane at the intersection of High Street, Harp Road, Valerie St.
I have appointments out that way during the day so will scope it all out; I think it's a block of apartments now, or possibly a shop. There's a reserve next to it, so I'm thinking of taking Kozz's dog for a walk somewhere nearby. Kozz 21:22, 22 January 2010 (UTC)
Sunday: Just outside of the Yellingbo Nature Reserve, 5km south of Woori Yallock. Considering giving this a crack as well, with Kozz's dog.
- Sunday is a goer, we'll hopefully be out there at 1600 or so. Kozz + 2. Link here.
You should all go to this one: http://irc.peeron.com/xkcd/map/map.html?date==2010-01-23&lat=-38&long=145&zoom=9&abs=1
Felix Dance 05:49, 23 January 2010 (UTC)
Sorry - I think you may have already mentioned that one actually.
Felix Dance 11:25, 23 January 2010 (UTC)
- Congrats! At the rate you're going, you'll need to add a ultrasound dog deterrer to your Geohashing pack :o) Kozz 02:10, 24 January 2010 (UTC)
This is in the middle of a field in Research, North-East Melbourne.
I don't think I can get there as it's a decent 40 minute drive each way according to Google Maps, but if anyone's up that direction there's a gate leading onto a property with a short driveway to the owner's house - and only a little way further onto the hashpoint (it's visible from the road). Possible Ambassador Hash? Kozz 22:22, 1 February 2010 (UTC)
- It's slightly out of my way, but if I end up heading mansfield way tonight ( a definite possibility) then I may take a look at this one. --mykaDragonBlue [- i have no sig -] 22:28, 1 February 2010 (UTC)
- since i didn't end up going out Mansfield way, and instead did some moving of furniature... I didn't get near this hash. --mykaDragonBlue [- i have no sig -] 14:17, 2 February 2010 (UTC)
2010-02-06, 2010-02-07, 2010-02-08
All achievable this weekend.
Saturday's best is probably the East Melbourne, about 100m off the road in the Yarra Ranges National Park, as a round trip it's easily 3 hours which puts it out of range for me.
Sunday's is on someone's driveway in the middle of Templestowe / Doncaster, I'll be walking Kozz's dog at the nearby Ruffey Lake Park and will extend the walk to the that point.
- Edit - updated plan is to cycle out to the hashpoint early Sunday morning, after it gets light and before Melbourne's homicidal maniac Sunday drivers hit the road to cause chaos on the way to church. Kozz 09:22, 6 February 2010 (UTC)
Monday's is in Clarinda / Heatherton, in the corner of Barker's Reserve. I will attempt this after work ....meaningful pause....WITHOUT a GPS.
Kozz 20:02, 5 February 2010 (UTC)
3.5-ish Km by road, according to the google... intersection of Bell St and Gilbert rd in Coburg. Getting a GPS reading while actually *in the intersection might be interesting, but this one is close enough that if i discover someone else might go, I can pretty much make sure I'm there at an appropriate time (assuming I've finished work by then)
--mykaDragonBlue [- i have no sig -] 23:07, 16 February 2010 (UTC)
- Congrats all, good effort. Sorry I couldn't join you...Kozz 20:06, 17 February 2010 (UTC)
2010-02-18 -37 145 - Keilor East - close to the THUNDERDOME
The 2010-02-18 -37 144 hash looks quite accessible out in the north-west of Melbourne, in what appears to be the middle of a field in Calder Park / Keilor. From what I can see on Google Earth and Street View, it looks to be in a slight depression approximately 300 metres off Victoria Road, and the area may well have been built up since the satellite and Street View photos were taken. More importantly, it's close by to the Calder Park THUNDERDOME which would make for an awesome photo. Access is by the Calder Freeway and Calder Park Drive, or via the Melton Highway.
Irritatingly, I can't make this one either because of work commitments today and this evening, it's likely to get a bit messy and involve the imbibement of fluids of an ethanol-rich nature so driving is not an option. But hope someone's going along, and if you do, good luck! Kozz 20:06, 17 February 2010 (UTC)
- from memory, it's still an open field, although I don't tend to stare intently at the place when I pass by semi-regularly. I may head up there by car at some point this evening. Then again, I've driven past many many times, hashed in the McMansions nearby, and may be working late anyway... we'll see. --mykaDragonBlue [- i have no sig -] 23:17, 17 February 2010 (UTC)
2010-03-03 Ultimate dream camping geohash
Check this out...if it weren't a work day I would be out there burning hydrocarbons right now!
Right on the waterline at a beach on Wilson's Prom. It's a simple 6 hour round trip from where I am...you reckon the boss would notice?? Kozz 01:11, 3 March 2010 (UTC)
oh man, that is a good one... sooo tempting, but it would be dark by the time i got there, and leaving too early to enjoy it in the morning... but... sooo tempting. --mykaDragonBlue [- i have no sig -] 02:04, 3 March 2010 (UTC)
2010-03-04 - Brewery hash?
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:(-38.392414,145.016607) - next to the Red Hill Brewery, if I am not very much mistaken...Kozz 20:14, 3 March 2010 (UTC)
- and of course when we get to the long weekend, the algorithm will hate us. --mykaDragonBlue [- i have no sig -] 21:20, 3 March 2010 (UTC)
- Yeah...I forsee at least 2 out in the ocean, 3 in the Yarra Ranges kilometres away from tracks, and wouldn't be at all surprised if one's on a runway at Tullamarine. Curse you, Geohashing gods! Kozz 00:15, 4 March 2010 (UTC)
Will be trying to get to this hashpoint with a dragalong, target arrival time about 11.00amish depending on traffic and road conditions. After the rains, I do wonder just how good gravel roads are gonna be...
Kozz 23:06, 7 March 2010 (UTC)
- if only i'd been awake early enough to see this in time... and not going to bet at 5am last night >.< I could have offered to bring my car --mykaDragonBlue [- i have no sig -] 02:19, 8 March 2010 (UTC)
2010-03-11 -37 145 - 1.22km from my residence
Wow, talk about freakin luck. This is just 1.22km from my house and about 100 metres off a trail I commonly walk my dog along. It's in an odd place though, hard up against a fence in someone's back yard. I will be attempting a Walk Hash this afternoon with the dog this afternoon, it appears.
Kozz 21:44, 10 March 2010 (UTC)
2010-03-14 -38 145 - near the Red Hill Brewery again
I'd be up for a sunday drive...
A couple of the saturday hashes are plausible as well.. i'll try for the Three bridges one at least, depending on how long other stuff takes me, or the company :p
--mykaDragonBlue [- i have no sig -] 14:44, 12 March 2010 (UTC)
In a park in Templestowe. This one's a definite for me, it's close enough to fit into an hour round trip and there's a Dairy Bell on Doncaster Road which will provide me with sweet, sweet icecream of a delicious nature. Not sure what time - need to go to the Flower Show as well.
Kozz 21:14, 26 March 2010 (UTC)
I've been out of action since the start of April with an injured ankle, not conducive to driving, not at all conducive to walking.
Sorry for letting the side down - but Buckley and Myka who've got us active in April at least.
Kozz 03:19, 22 April 2010 (UTC)
sports grounds by the yarra. city center. enough said.
--mykaDragonBlue [- i have no sig -] 23:56, 26 May 2010 (UTC)
Come on guys, what's the matter with you people? Don't make me come down there! Felix Dance 07:30, 29 June 2010 (UTC)
- yeah, slack of us, I know.... and we started the year so well. --mykaDragonBlue [- i have no sig -] 07:34, 29 June 2010 (UTC)
Yeah I was pretty impressed - you were almost approaching Atlanta! What happened to that fighting spirit? Felix Dance 07:37, 29 June 2010 (UTC)
- I guess kozz was injured, an I ended up being out of town for most of my weekends (and hashes). not really any excuse though. --mykaDragonBlue [- i have no sig -] 07:43, 29 June 2010 (UTC)
- Still injured (a bone in my foot dislocated blah blah blah three months of physio etc etc etc) and now have a baby to look after as well. Very nearly went to the 2010-07-03 -37 145 hash with newborn baby in tow, hoping to simultaneously get the Youngest Geohasher award (5 days old), issue a Tale of Two Hashers with the German guys in Heidelberg, and put Melbourne back on the map - but didn't have a GPS with me and was talked out of it by my partner. Probably a good thing! --Kozz 23:56, 28 July 2010 (UTC)
- My camera and GPS was stolen out of my truck. I have another one now a really old one and a really old camera too, but both work. So, you guys have a fighting chance to be in first place on the board again. Once I was out of Geohashing for a month with out a camera and GPS I lost the fun of doing it every day. Maybe I'll get it back. I just bought a new eTrex so maybe I'll return to doing it every day.
- Felix... The Global geohash for June 28th was in Indonesia... Isn't that your part of town now? --NWoodruff 11:48, 29 June 2010 (UTC)
Nah I'm in Nepal now. Even so, Indonesia's a pretty huge country with about 10 million islands so it'd be pretty unlikely to be near me, to say the least. Felix Dance 16:16, 29 June 2010 (UTC)
I have the next week or so free, before I head to the UK for a while on the 12th. hopefully I can get some nice locations in as a (temporary) farewell to melbourne. --mykaDragonBlue [- i have no sig -] 01:38, 29 July 2010 (UTC)
Sunday, 8th of August 2010
Hey guys, someone HAS to do this one: http://irc.peeron.com/xkcd/map/map.html?date==2010-08-08&lat=-38&long=144&zoom=9&abs=1 - it'll involve getting just your ankles wet I reckon. Saturday's looks pretty good too, and Monday's is right in the Footscray cemetery! http://irc.peeron.com/xkcd/map/map.html?date==2010-08-09&lat=-38&long=144&zoom=9&abs=1. What a shame Stevage and Talex aren't in town. Felix Dance 15:59, 6 August 2010 (UTC)
- I am so tempted just to call this the yum cha place right near by. Who wants to meet up.. --arran4 18:53, 14 October 2011 (EDT)
- I'll make an effort - I'm at work in Wonthaggi at the moment, but will see if I can swing by on my way home. I know of at least one other person who'll be there (in the form of User:Stevage) Felix Dance 19:14, 14 October 2011 (EDT)
- Want to book a time and a table? :P Despite the fact it's on the otherside of the road. --arran4 19:15, 14 October 2011 (EDT)
- I don't really know when I'll get out of work, and I might be getting a lift home with someone else in which case it might be too inconvenient to do the detour. Send me a message on 0417 069 230 and I'll let you know where I'm at. Sounds awesome though, I've only ever met one other person at a geohash. Felix Dance 19:23, 14 October 2011 (EDT)
- I haven't met anyone as I haven't geohashed before. Forgot about it for a LONG time. Where abouts will you be getting a lift to, when abouts does your work finish? --arran4 19:26, 14 October 2011 (EDT)
- Work usually wraps up about 2pm, and it takes me about 2 hours to get to the city. I'll either take my own car, in which case I can pop in on my way home, or can get dropped off somewhere near the city. I'll let you know how I go. Felix Dance 19:29, 14 October 2011 (EDT)
- I guess I'll aim for 4ish. Text me on 0430 364 896. Stevage 23:08, 14 October 2011 (EDT)
- Ah.. Woops. Forgot to check. --arran4 01:34, 15 October 2011 (EDT)
- I actually ended up going around 11pm, on my way to a party. It was lame. :p Stevage 00:39, 18 October 2011 (EDT)
- Yeah. I was aiming for Morning, then get one of the yumcha sessions. --arran4 00:40, 18 October 2011 (EDT)
- This one is really close to my place. Who is interested, otherwise I will go by myself. Although I strongly suspect we would be able to get near but not exact due to bushland. --arran4 17:26, 7 December 2011 (EST)
- I'll still be in Wonthaggi, but I strongly support your cause. Try Stevage. Felix Dance 18:16, 7 December 2011 (EST)
- -38.129184°, 144.343527° - Geelong golf course. If I wasn't already at work, in a suit, without a car, and with deadlines today at 4pm, I'd totally be down there. Kozz 20:17, 20 December 2011 (EST)
Geohash on the Yarra
So...this is about as gutting as you can get. Last year and next year we're staying in Ventnor, just the other side of the island, and I know this hashpoint reasonably well, having walked along the path nearby. This would be a kick-ass hash; the cliffs nearby lead straight down into Bass Strait, huge ocean rollers coming in and thudding against the shore. There's even a neat little beach you can kinda get to (if you're half mad / suicidal).
But on the critical date of 2011-12-30 I'm in Melbourne. Working. Curse you, Australia's bouyant employment market! Curse you, hashpoint gods! Kozz 20:27, 29 December 2011 (EST)
Geohash 2012 03 18 -37 145
Geohash 2012 04 21 -37 145
Geohash 2012-06-16 -38 145
Who will join me at around 1pm at this one? Give me a call/message on 0417 069 230 to discuss.