Talk:2012-05-21 49 -123
hi, we are really getting close to the geohashing day. I will have all day and if feasible like to go by bike, but I can surely also bring my van that carries 7 and possibly borrow a canoe if a waterhash is required. I also have no further plans for the weekend yet, so would be available for some warm-up hashing exercises or epic adventures. Wijnland 23:41, 17 May 2012 (EDT)
- and we won't even find out until Monday morning what the geohashing day point is, because Victoria Day isn't a US holiday. Oh well, I'll be up at 6:30 on Monday and checking the point anyway. -- Rhonda 23:54, 17 May 2012 (EDT)
Ahoy British Columbians. This looks like an excellent time for me to come out of hibernation. --Juventas 22:51, 18 May 2012 (EDT)
The coordinates are in. It aint close, and we do have to take a ferry, but the location seems to be not at all impossible. I will bike there i think. Ferries go each hour on the whole hour. Which ferry can we take? R R can you make it to the 11? And is that enough time to get to the coord and back...Wijnland 09:46, 21 May 2012 (EDT)
- I think the earliest ferry we could conceivably make is the 1:35, and even that I'm not 100% sure about. Ferry schedule: http://www.bcferries.com/schedules/mainland/vasc-current.html
- Google says 2.5 hours by bike from the langdale ferry terminal to the road point closest. So assuming that's right, 2:10 + 2.5 hours is 4:50, dinnertime at the hashpoint. Assume an hour to do the hiking part and finding and celebrating the hashpoint, 2.5 hours back would put us at the earliest at Langdale at 8:30, there's an 8:45 ferry, and if we miss that we're in luck, there's a special sailing May 21st only at 10:40PM.
- All of which goes to say that I wouldn't be able to do this on a bike after my race. And because it's Victoria Day, I would recommend expecting at minimum a 2-sailing wait for cars. Time to look at other graticules. -- Rhonda 09:59, 21 May 2012 (EDT)
- (At least for me; if any other Vancouver denizens want to take an earlier ferry I will cheer for them but won't be able to join them.) -- Rhonda 10:07, 21 May 2012 (EDT)
- i did look at the wrong schedule... I will take the 1130 depart. As for alternatives, whistler seems to be the only feasible location around us Wijnland 11:34, 21 May 2012 (EDT)
 Drowned rat?
From Wijnland's description, I'm thinking the drowned rat achievement might have been earned. ---Wade 17:22, 22 May 2012 (EDT)
- I was unaware of this achievement, but having read the description I think I may qualify. tonight I will post some pics and claim this ribbon. User:Wijnland