Talk:2009-04-25 49 -123
- Option #1: Rent a motorboat at Sewell's Marina (~$150 for three hours), Horseshoe Bay, boat to Artaban government dock, walk up hill 500 m. Cheer!
- Option #2: Bus to Horseshoe Bay, Ferry to Langdale. Ferry to New Brighton at west end of Gambier, hike 6.5 hours to Camp Artaban, swim home.
- Option #3: Rent a float plane. Moor near government dock. Swim to shore. Hike 500 m. Cheer!
- Option #4: Hire water taxi. Otherwise as option #1.
- Option #5: Catch scheduled water taxi (isn't that a water bus?) from Horseshoe Bay at 10:00 a.m. Arrives approximately 11 a.m. at Camp Artaban. Hike, play, etcetera. Get 5:30 departure from Camp Artaban back to Horseshoe Bay. Fare is $25 per person each way. Reservations required.
Can also combine options, e.g. hike in, take water bus out. We like option #5 best, because no one needs to commit in advance.
What's really sad, is that this constitutes an accessible geohash in our graticule.
Option #5 Details
- 8:12 a.m. Catch 22 MacDonald bus
- 8:52 a.m. WESTBOUND W GEORGIA ST AT BURRARD ST P2 "250 HORSESHOE BAY"
- 9:38 a.m. arrive Horseshoe Bay
- 10:00 a.m. depart Horseshoe Bay
- 11:00 a.m. arrive Camp Artaban
- Find geohash, possibly go hiking, tour camp (we know caretaker), have picnic
- 5:30 p.m. depart for Horseshoe Bay
- 6:10 p.m. back in Horseshoe Bay
- Argh, translink "upgraded" their website and now I can't download bus schedules. I have a paper 239 which will get me to Park Royal where I can connect with the 250, I just don't know what time the 250 leaves there. -- Rhonda 03:42, 25 April 2009 (UTC)
250 WB Pk Royal Ferry 8:37a 9:08a 9:07a 9:38a
- Robyn 03:59, 25 April 2009 (UTC)
Ok, looks like you'll be on the one leaving park royal at 9:07 then.
I'll set my alarm to get up early enough to catch the bus to get there, and decide then if I'm up to it, because right now I'm all squinty and have a tired headache. I'm going to bed right now. Reserve one hour prior to sailing... I can do that in the morning. -- Rhonda 04:22, 25 April 2009 (UTC)
Feeling much better for a good night's sleep. I'll see you on the bus. -- Rhonda 13:57, 25 April 2009 (UTC)
- We're taking a motorcycle because we have to get back into town faster than Translink allows, so we'll see you at the dock. -Robyn 14:32, 25 April 2009 (UTC)
- Ok. See you there. -- Rhonda 14:57, 25 April 2009 (UTC)
Pros and Cons
Looks like the Victoria one will involve a few hours on a bike. Just saying. -- Rhonda 02:14, 25 April 2009 (UTC)
Ha ha ha! Wade said I should post that on your page, but I didn't want to unduly influence you.
You don't have nearly as much influence on me as my sore tailbone does. I'm not looking at my bike for a couple of days. -- Rhonda 03:13, 25 April 2009 (UTC)
49N is better because
- Wade has always wanted to go to Camp Artaban
- I like to score points for my home graticule when able
- This one has no cycling
- I've been to Victoria lots of times
- We'll get home in time for an evening event.
48N is better because
- Golf course parking lot is a guaranteed easy coordinates reached
- Ferry total cost is $30 per cyclist as opposed to $50 each for water bus
- Ferry food is tasty (but will negate the cost difference above!)
- Ferries are reportedly more reliable
We're going with this one, on the 10:00 a.m. Note that departure is from the Horseshoe Bay government dock, not the BC Ferries terminal, and that you need to call 604-921-7451 for a reservation at least one hour prior to sailing. -Robyn 02:32, 25 April 2009 (UTC).
I've got so many good photos it's hard to choose which ones to post! -Robyn 20:20, 26 April 2009 (UTC)
Did the one with Lincoln trying to eat T-rex turn out? I don't see that one on the page. -- Rhonda 01:51, 27 April 2009 (UTC)
There are a few with him sniffing and T-Rex knocked down, but he's not really focused on him. This is the best, but it's mostly hands.
Other People saying stuff
Man that looks like fun! I wish I had been there, I totally would have made a run up that cliff! Thepiguy 14:26, 29 April 2009 (UTC)