Media Attention Geohash
| This user earned the Media Attention Geohash Achievement
Take this award when your geohashing expedition is reported on by the media. Ideally this would be for a story about geohashing. Calling the reporter yourself and suggesting the story is fair game. A recognized media outlet is one that could obtain a press pass.
You are also eligible for the award if you are interviewed or filmed for another reason while geohashing. For example, if your Novelty Flying Disc game turns up as the background for the next night's weather forecast on the local cable network, you score. If you are interviewed while geohashing for a story about public opinion on the election, you score. If the story is about three idiots being rescued from the middle of the bay in toy inflatable boats, you score too. Try to mention geohashing anyway, or at least be wearing xkcd merchandise.
You are not eligible for the award if the media report covers your vandalism, mischief, trespassing or any other crime committed through geohashing.
The usual geohashing proof is required, plus evidence of the media coverage. A link to the online version of a newspaper article, television story or radio show is excellent evidence. If your story occurs as part of a larger piece, please state at what minute of a show or what page of an article the coverage begins.
- Srs0 and thepiguy for 2008-07-19 49 -123 were asked an opinion about ferries.
- Hessophanes, relet and sneak for 2008-09-29 52 12 brought a TV crew to the geohash.
- 2008-11-19 47 7 and 2008-11-19 47 8: The Swiss DRS3 radio team and everyone who visited these hashes reported live about geohashing.
- Srs0, Danatar and thepiguy for the 2009-06-02 49 10 Hashtastrophe, which was mentioned in the local news.
- Fivetonsofflax, Euterkuh, Ekorren, Ilpadre and Koepfel for 2010-03-13 49 8. An article on this expedition was published in the RNZ, a newspaper in and around Heidelberg.
- Llavids dragged his family and some reporters to 2012-04-02 56 13 and the result got printed in a magazine.
- JMuonio and world's oldest geohasher, Norma, had an article written about the expedition 2013-12-30 45 -94 in Norma's local newspaper.