Canterbury, United Kingdom
|London East||Canterbury||Dunkerque, France|
|Eastbourne||Calais, France||Arras, France|
The 51, 1 graticule covers the part of the United Kingdom (UK) from 51° to 52° latitude, and from 1° to 2° longitude. It covers the eastern end of Kent, and also parts of the Suffolk and Essex coasts. At low tide, it also includes a tiny piece of a French beach near Calais - 0.00077 of the area. This might be reachable once every three or four years. The sea areas are Thames and Dover.
Canterbury has a couple of inconveniences. It is about 20% land and the Thames estuary splits the graticule. It's 150 km or 90 miles to the nearest river crossing at Dartford and back to the 51, 1 border. There's a ferry (Gravsend to Tilbury), slightly closer, but only for pedestrians and bicycles. In an average month there might be 4 southern zone and 2 northern land hashpoints.
No one has documented an expedition in the southern zone. Sourcerer will be there for a few days in early September 2015.
 Expeditions and Plans
Please post your expedition links and plans here.
- 26 July 2015 (Sun): Sourcerer visited the south side of Alton Water, Suffolk, UK.
- 26 June 2015 (Fri): Sourcerer visited Cattawade Creek, River Stour, Suffolk, UK.
- 22 February 2015 (Mon): Sourcerer visited a field north of Great Bromley and Little Bentley, Essex, UK arriving at 23:02.
- 07 July 2011 (Fri): Sourcerer visited the promontory that separates the ports of Harwich and Felixtowe. The hashpoint was right on a public footpath.
- 21 November 2010 (Sun): Sourcerer visited a small bottle bank in Taunton Road, Walton, Felixtowe, Suffolk, UK. He visited the point and later explored Felixtowe.
- 24 September 2010 (Fri): Sourcerer and MagicIan visited a sheep field east of East Bergholt, Suffolk, UK. Sourcerer (Neil) made a circular walk on public footpaths with one short cut across a sheep field to take in the hash point. Neil believes this is the first documented expedition in this graticule and claims the virgin geohash. This was hash 1 of a pentahash taking in Canterbury, London East, London West, Northampton and the Cambridge graticules. MagicIan was also trying to lay claim to the virgin geohash in the graticule but was a couple of hours too late.