London East, United Kingdom
|London West||London East||Canterbury|
This graticule covers the part of the United Kingdom from 51° to 52° latitude, and from 0° to 1° longitude. It contains the East End of London and extends through Basildon to Southend-on-Sea, also covering Maidstone, Chelmsford, Harlow and Colchester. It includes such diverse locations as the O2 Millennium Dome, the Isle of Sheppey, and London Stansted Airport.
To natives, this graticule presents a minor inconvenience in the form of the River Thames, which cuts neatly through the centre. As the Thames is crossable only by a) going into London, b) paying a toll at the Dartford Crossing, or c) swimming like crazy (not recommended).
When following the XKCD geohashing algorithm, append the fractional hash part to 51° latitude and 0° longitude.
 Planned Expeditions
No expeditions are planned at the moment.
 Past activity
- 2013-02-03 51 0: PaintedJaguar reached the hashpoint on High Wych Road near the town of Sawbridgeworth.
- 2012-12-09 51 0: Huinesoron attempted to multihash this and the neighbouring 2012-12-09 51 -0 hashpoints.
- 2012-11-27 51 0: Huinesoron, Haberdasher and Jand almost got blown away at the hashpoint near Hornchurch Library.
- 2012-10-14 51 0: PaintedJaguar attempted a double hash across London, but failed to reach this graticule's hashpoint near Thurrock football ground due to barbed wire fences and a flooded field.
- 2012-09-11 51 0: Lambert Simnel took far less time to get to the hashpoint than he then spent trying to upload files and report it.
- 2012-08-25 51 0: Huinesoron attempted to to Speed Racer the heck out of the hashpoint outside Bulphan.
- 2012-08-17 51 0: Benjw drove down from Cambridge to Saffron Walden for the afternoon, and returned via a hashpoint in Clavering, Essex.
- 2011-01-08 51 0: Sourcerer visited the Hucking estate and nature reserve. Be careful how you enunciate that one. Hucking lies between Maidstone and Sittingbourne, Kent, UK.
- 2010-09-24 51 0: Sourcerer visited a harvested wheat field north of the village of Anstey on a dark windy moon-lit night. This was hash 2 of a pentahash taking in Canterbury, London East, London West, Northampton and the Cambridge graticules.
- 2010-08-10 51 0: Sourcerer reached the point close to a public footpath. This was a very pleasant, Crouch Estuary, walk documented at wikiloc.
- 2010-01-19 51 0: Benjw once again headed to Stansted Airport from Cambridge, but found the hashpoint in the airport carpark this time.
- 2009-08-03 51 0: Mito got within 10 meters of the point near Otford rail station, it was on private land.
- 2009-04-19 51 0: Dave Dubya attempted to reach the location (on the A414 between Chelmsford and Chipping Ongar), but it was situated on private property and farmland and so not directly accessible.
- 2009-01-15 51 0: Benjw visited from the Cambridge graticule, and successfully reached a grassy area just off a track near the B1256, south of Stansted Airport.
- 2008-07-15 51 0: (tr00st) attempted to head over by bike for his first attempt at getting to some coordinates... Arrived at the field the coordinates were in at about 5:45pm - vegetation proved too thick for me to actually make it to the right point, got pretty close.
- 2008-06-23 51 0: A group from Maidstone and its surrounds are heading out to this conveniently close hash by foot, by bike, but probably not by plane. The hash may be sneakily relocated to the woods nearby if the field is found to be full of rapeseed for hay fever reasons.
- 2008-06-14 51 0: The co-ordinates are in the middle of a field, with the closest civilisation either the small town/village of Hunsdon or the town of Ware. Reached by walking across country from Roydon train station. Found a swamp.
- 2008-06-07 51 0: In darkest Thamesmead, just off the 244 bus route. Could only take sly photos due to dodgy looking locals.
 Local geohashers
- Haberdasher will be in the London West graticule, fairly close to the grat border, in autumn 2012 and will try to do some hashes here.
 Status unknown
- Lordpenguin is in the northeast corner, and needs driving practice!
- MooUK is in the northwest, and is car powered, or possibly pedal/foot powered if an almost-couch occurs.
 Ex hashers
- tr00st no longer in the area