|Glens Falls, New York||Claremont, New Hampshire||Concord, New Hampshire|
|Albany, New York||Springfield||Boston|
|Danbury, Connecticut||Hartford, Connecticut||Providence, Rhode Island|
The Springfield, Massachusetts graticule is at latitude 42, longitude -72. This graticule includes the following cities: Agawam, MA; Ashfield, MA; Brattleboro, VT; Chicopee, MA; Keene, NH; Northampton, MA; Springfield, MA. It is one of the few known graticules to span 4 US states.
Water isn't a huge obstacle in this graticule, but forests are. Many of the locations so far have been in the middle of nowhere, which makes getting to them quite difficult. A GPS could come in handy, but the locations are frequently in easy to reach locations.
Today's Location: [Springfield, MA]
- 2008-05-24: Was our graticule's first recorded visit, also setting the record for most people at a visit, 3!
- 2008-06-03: Second visit, tying the record for most people, but this time with pictures (to be posted ASAP)
chrisinajar will be attending as many of these as possible. Once I get my Magic cards back, they will be joining me.
2013-04-28: Coordinates Todd biked 12.5 miles from home to be stopped by no trespassing signs and houses where he would have needed to enter the woods for the geohash. He then completed the 25 mile round trip!
2012-06-09: Coordinates Within a wooded area marked on the MotionX map as "Gun & Bow Club" in Granby. Phoebe and Todd didn't look at this particular map until they were already approaching on foot by way of power line access roads.
2012-03-12: Coordinates On a lawn of what turned out to be a house and also probably an entrance to Glen Cove Wildlife Sanctuary. Todd and Phoebe drove within a couple yards of the point, but didn't get out of the car because, although it's clearly marked as part of the wildlife sanctuary, it was also very much like a yard.
2012-03-06: Coordinates 100 yards from an unplowed road in a state forest near Quabbin Reservoir. Todd Missed the location to the tune of a quarter mile because of use of Google Maps and iPhone to find the point. However, the event was memorable for reasons documented on the page.
2012-03-05: Coordinates directly on Gloyd St shoulder in Plainfield, MA. Phoebe caused one (unregistered) person to *walk* there. She took along five others, including a dog. She then visited *again*.
2009-09-17: Coordinates In a field just off of a residential street in Westfield. (Hoffmanbike didn't make it because of unexpected/unannounced construction blocking my only way in (without trespassing))
This page used to contain a Statistics section, but no one is maintaining it and it got all out of date, so I'm deleting it.
Consecutive Arrivals - 1
Consecutive Saturdays - 0
Most People - 3 (4 at an unsuccessful attempt)
Geohasher(s) with most arrivals - Pixel(2), Sara (at least 3, but I'm not going to update this number here)
- Todd lives in Florence, MA (aka Northampton). He's trying to limit geohashes to those he can bike or walk to without driving any more than he already needs to. He also has evil notions about decicules and centicules as everyday biking and walking destinations when the day's official geohash is completely out of the question.
- chrisinajar lives in Swanzey, NH. That just outside of Keene. He will be getting to as many of these as possibly, not likely on weekdays though. (1 Visit)
- Ho0ber lives in Keene, NH. That's just outside of Swanzey. He will be making it to any of these which are practical, and also not likely on weekdays.
- Julia will start attending meetups when she arrives at Smith College in the fall.
- Ryelle is surprised to find another smithie here, and will also try to go in the fall.
- Fred has moved to UMASS Amherst for college and will attend nearby hashes.
- Sixdeaftaxis lives in the Hilltowns of Western Massachusetts.
- Sara lives in the Springfield area.
- Hoffmanbike Used to live in Chicopee, MA; and now lives in Westfield, MA; will be attending as many as his wife allows him to.
- Arbolito Lives in Troy, NH. That is just outside of Swanzey, kindof. Hopes to get to a hash eventually..
- Wrosen also moved to UMass Amherst recently and will attempt to attend any nearby hashes.
Also, check out the Springfield Geohashers Facebook Group