Latest Coordinates and Map Quick-Links
|Thursday 2014-10-23||-35.8867199, 149.3384247|
|Friday 2014-10-24||-35.1565371, 149.0531705|
The Canberra graticule lies at -35 degrees latitude, 149 longitude. It encompasses Canberra, Queanbeyan, Bungendore, Braidwood and a number of smaller towns.
The region consists of farmland, National Parks, a generally dry lake, and a few hills that we call mountains. Also to be found are dirt tracks, ravines, cliffs and at least one mountain worthy of the name. Canberra (the largest city found in the locality) is more commonly known as the Politics, Porno and
Pyro hub of the nation, but sometimes also referred to as Our Nation's Capital. We love our city. We especially love the porno(graphy), pyro(technics) and pro(stitute)s.
Canberra is renowned for being a navigational nightmare due to its high number of roundabouts.
Info on the odds of a hash point falling within the city of Canberra can be found here
 Misunderstanding Canberra as Australia's National Capital City
Robyn Archer AO, Director of Canberra 100 (Canberra's centenary, in 2013), told non-Canberrans and particularly the media to "stop bashing 'Canberra'" when they really meant the Federal Government, in a speech at the National Press Club in early April 2012. "Canberra is not the same thing as our federal government," adding that "It effectively abuses 360,000 Australians in a way that would never happen to the citizens of any other Australian town or city. It causes genuine pain and shame, to the extent that many Canberrans themselves have become apologetic for the place they call home." In her opinion, "Any capital, of any country, should somehow symbolise and enshrine all that that country aspires to, its noblest values and its highest ideals. Particular politicians, policies and parties should be judged on how well or how ill they uphold those values enshrined in the national capital - not the other way round." <ref>Media told: stop bashing 'Canberra', Sally Pryor, Canberra Times (newspaper), 5 April 2012</ref>
 Meetup Details
Eastern Australia is 14hrs ahead of NYC. So, like all other Australian cities, Canberra's target for the Saturday meet-up will be determined using Friday's (US Time) data - that means that we get Saturday's time on Friday at 23:30.
Where the target lands in the East of the graticule, we may instead invade our neighbour graticule of -35, 148. Similarly (though less likely) is a northern invasion to -34 149.
Geohashers will often meet prior to a hash at the Glowing Cube for carpooling purposes
 What about inaccessible Saturdays?
It's impossible to get lost in Canberra
In the Canberra graticule it is generally agreed that should the Saturday geohash fall in a remote and inaccessible location, we may instead opt for visiting a geohash location from earlier in the week, ie, a recent retro hash. We feel this is preferable to a voted hashpoint (which, in our humble opinion, rather misses the point of a hash by turning it into a popularity contest).
Our first recent-retro was Saturday 2008-06-14 -35 149, when we visited Friday the 13ths hashpoint.
 Summary of Expeditions...
 Local Geohashers
Sign up, fellow xkcd hooligans
- Aussie is intersted in starting to Geohash
- Psud AKA Adam has started a mailing list and expects to attend on Saturdays - Seats available for car pooling for some hashes.
- Nemo was active for some time, but has since (mid 2009) moved to Brisbane
- Black Rattism is also an interested party
- Likewise for Somersault 00:59, 22 May 2008 (UTC). *puts up their hand*
- Luke is interested in attending. If not this weekend (may 24) then perhaps the next.
- Llandorin has a toy 4WD he wants to try out (see photos of 2008-05-31).
- Chris is keen
- Cameron is in the area.
- xen will try out his new GPS on saturdays
- 'gim is up for some random travelling
is a Canberra resident,originally from a small place near Wodonga - has now returned there.
- Joanna is keen to meet people
- Raphael is in Canberra but relies on buses. You better not screw us up this year, ACTION. [Later date edit: Well, they screwed us up.]
- Terry can attend sometimes and should be able to provide a car seat or two for others.
- Baz is interested.
- Spectra AKA Bernard made it to the hash in the parliamentary triangle. Hopefully more soon.
- ConMan (another Chris) will try to get to ones in the Territory, and elsewhere if there's a car seat available.
- DancingMan is a Sydneysider, but is occasionally in Canberra on weekends.
- Huw would love to come along.
- 1PE has become active in 2012, but Saturday afternoons are spoken for.
 Contact and organising
 Mailing List
The Canberra Geohashing mailing list is the main tool we use to organise geohash expeditions and carpooling. Even if you're planning on sneaking to a hash point without letting anyone else know, you can watch the mailing list to see when others are planning on being there.
- See here to subscribe to the list.
Several Canberrans are regular on the #geohashing channel on Foonetic- especially throughout the Canberra day and evening. Final tuning of carpooling and pickups for geohash visits sometimes occur in this channel as well. Join us and other geohashers from the world for social real-time chat
Kieran also took the liberty of creating a Facebook group, but it's more for propaganda purposes. Invite all your friends geohashing.
 Other information to be aware of
These graticules fall under the 30W Time Zone Rule.